Missing images

Be warned: Discourse will cut you off pretty quickly, but you can pick up where you left off after a day’s cooling off period.

6 Likes

It worked for me as well, huzzah! :smiley:

Good stuff, @Jonathan_Eckley!

7 Likes

5 Likes

Can we get Jonathan_Eckley a custom made, “Truly Awesome Forum Member” badge and a lifetime supply of Totino’s pizza rolls? I’m slowly (you have to wait 45 seconds between deletions) going through my Gizmoplex pics and restoring them.

Man I’d give you a high five emoji if they had one.

Edit I hit the wall on the delete trick, I have to wait a day now, but the ones I could edit in those threads are all finished. “And the crowd goes wild… yay”

10 Likes

10 Likes

My contribution to the awards ceremony.

3 Likes

Tested it myself and it does indeed work! Thanks!

5 Likes

Testing the delete-and-restore process.

Hot dang, it works! And when I use it in the Pets thread it doesn’t remove the Likes or Replies, either. Great workaround! :heart:

8 Likes

I had this problem in the Mighty Fan Art Thread, tried re-uploading the image, didn’t work. Left an edit saying that it didn’t work, and then boom, there’s the image.

Very odd.

6 Likes

Hmm… I edited/tagged a poll topic from August 16 (not mine) just now in order to refresh the OP image content (it’s worked previously each time/haven’t done the ‘edit-to-restore’ on another’s post in a couple days) but it didn’t restore the images :thinking:

4 Likes

It’s definitely weird. From what I can tell, I can delete/restore 5 images a day before getting the “wait 23 hours message,” but earlier when I tried to do that to a post with 4 images in it I got an error message telling me I had done it too often (it was the first I had tried today) and that I had to wait 8 minutes to do anything else. Hopefully Lesley will get a fix from Discourse.

5 Likes

Phew, well it took days, but I finally got my images restored at the Gizmoplex screengrab threads.

Since we are able to restore them, they must be in the system, somewhere, and can be grabbed by the admins when needed. Still, I wanted them to be seen by all.

If they don’t come back on their own, at some point, would there be a way to give us more than 5 a day? Maybe allow us unlimited deletions/restores, at least on a temporary basis.

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering that as well. I think lifting those limits is built in to the Discourse trust levels above Regular, but that’s only 2 people at this point and they have bigger fish to fry. If there’s no blanket solution I’m thinking a few of us could work our way through the site in a couple of days and restore all of them (if that sort of temporary arrangement would work for the admins).

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, I don’t want to be a mod, but I’d take limited restorative powers, or become a temp admin if needed and volunteer to get those pics back on site (and the links with images too, they’ve needed restoration too in some cases)

6 Likes

Ditto. I swore I’d never do a forum again after I was admin of an NFL team’s board for two seasons 20 years ago. I liked people in general a lot more before that.

But this place? I like it here. Y’all (singular and plural) are good folks.

9 Likes

Well as of now, the images I uploaded on different topics have been restored.

6 Likes

I was just on the Cosplay thread and just about all the images were missing :frowning: I don’t have anything constructive to say, just wanted to express my sadness :sob:

7 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, we know they’re not gone gone, just visually gone. Individual users can restore their own by deleting and restoring their posts, but that’s only 5 per day per user. Lesley knows about the issue and is also working on it with Discourse.

6 Likes

and if it’s not too old a post, you can also edit (add period or whatever) then hit ‘save edit’. I got a few back doing that.

5 Likes

On my second image, I had to wait 26 seconds before I could delete/restore. Third image, no wait. Fourth image, `12 seconds. It didn’t take me long to find the posts that needed restored, so not sure why I had the odd wait times.

6 Likes