MLB 2022 baseball

So nice to listen to Larry and Scott calling a Phillies spring training game, on the first day of spring.

Ah the jokes about how messed up scoring a spring training game is, I look forward to them every year.

1 Like

I’m looking forward to another season of Bob Uecker calling my Brewers games. Not sure how many more seasons we’ll get, so I’m savoring every game.

1 Like

The Cardinals radio broadcast won’t be the same without Mike Shannon, who retired after last season (though he was only calling home games for years before that). Sure, Shannon was never the most technically proficient announcer, but that was part of his charm. Case in point: during an ad read during a game last season about the auction of a Busch Stadium NFT, he went around and asked everyone else in the broadcast booth what, exactly, an NFT was. Tbf, I’m over 40 years younger than him, and my eyes glaze over when it comes to the subject of crypto.

1 Like

Another season of Arte Moreno screwing my team over with no pitching and against the Cheatstros. Meet the new season, same as the old 6 last seasons.

Wont Get Fooled Again GIF by The Who

Now excuse me while I see Jerry Buss, the anti Arte, giving a damn on HBO Max.

1 Like

Phillies and Oakland.

I predict great savagery and many tears among Oakland partisans. Probably only be able to catch from the fourth or fifth inning on TV, because of work and stuff, and maybe small struggle for TV time at the sports bar.

I gotta say, I’m liking the Phillies so far. Well, I dunno, but they’re rolling naturals on the come out. Strong start, I guess. Oakland? They’re sevening out, and boxcars on the come out.

But, it’s early.

2 Likes

I’m going to my first ever live in person MLB game next weekend at Fenway Park - Red Sox and Twins. Have seats in the grandstand along the 3rd base line. Anyone know the lay of the land and have any suggestions what we should or shouldn’t do?

I’ve already talked my NY native friend out of wearing her Yankees cap…:woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Well the Rockies lost their home opener to LA, but took the second game yesterday. Maybe we will get out of April and not be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs already. :smiley:

1 Like

Oo, along the baselines are good, but you will be further back from the field than others. And be prepared to spend a lot of time looking right. Also, be prepared for some obstruction. The grandstands are under the Pavillion so it’s possible that there might be a pole in your way. A small set of binoculars couldn’t hurt.

Normally I would recommend taking the extra-long walk to find one of the two or three Sam Adams booths instead of the “every five feet” Bud Light stands. But since Sam became the “official” beer of the Red Sox, I am not sure how the distribution is inside anymore.

One piece of advice I DO give is to get your food outside before heading to your seat. While the Fenway franks are good, the stuff out on Yawkey Way was the best. I have not been since well before the pandemic, so I do not know if El Tiente’s or the Fish Shack and Sausage Guy are still there. They also have much improved the food inside Fenway in the past few years. So if those places are not out there anymore, you can get the Chowder or others goodies still.

One last bit, considering where you are sitting, you are going to have a really hard time telling a foul from a hit. Don’t worry about it, everyone else is in the same boat.

2 Likes

First 2 games the Phillies offense was on fire, going into the 7th today they are doing a whole lot of nothing so far…

1 Like

Thanks for the info! My friend has severe food allergies, so we’ll be eating before we go to the park. Not planning on spending $9 on a hot dog, LOL! We chose the grandstand specifically so we didn’t run the risk of baking in the sun, and I went to a few “view from my seat” sites and I’m fairly confident that we’re in a row right in front of a pillar. If I’ve miscalculated, well, I’m down for just kind of wandering the park a little. As long as I get a cap and see some baseball, I’m happy. :grin:

My biggest concern is getting back to our hotel on the Common in a timely manner on crowded buses/trains. It’s a bit too far to walk, otherwise I’d do that.

Transportation, the bane of my existance!

1 Like

I used to love to watch baseball on TV, but I just can’t do it anymore. They layer on a digital strike zone for every pitch so it looks like a video game. They keep messing with the rules, and now you can’t escape those stupid new statistics that apparently mean something, but nobody knows what.

Hey, have you seen the kind of season Joe Schmoe is having? His WBQFF1 isn’t that impressive, but the WBQFF1+ is really a more accurate way of looking at it. When you combine his Caught Stealing rate with his short right field flyout percentage and his…

1 Like

That’s one of the reasons I listen to games on the radio, even if I have the game on the TV mute the audio and turn on the radio. They have to describe what is going on so don’t have as much time to spout all those statistics. And the radio guys in Philly rag on the changes to the game and useless stats all the time. Unfortunately it looks like Larry Anderson is only going to do about 40 games this season so that is a bit of a bummer, his rants against changing the game are great.

I had to work Monday night so missed the big inning the Phillies had to win that game.

3 Likes

Woot! Rockies are 4-1. Tied for the lead in the National League West. And tied for one of the best records in baseball.
Hush, you. Just let me savor the moment before the wheels inevitably fall off. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We now go live to Nolan Ryan going full Will Smith on Dave Roberts already in progress.

6 outs away.

1 Like

Nolan Ryan can sit on it and spin. Him and his son bought our AAA ballteam and promptly moved them to Texas.

Anyway I’m pretty happy with the start of the season so far.

1 Like

My favorite Mike Shannon moment was when they were trying to get support for a new stadium, and he said of the opponents, “There’s no reason to snap off your neck to spite your nose.” But perhaps I’m biased, as a Cubs fan.

1 Like

My opinion, baseball is far better on radio if there’s a good announcer. TV has taken over so much, it’s somewhat a lost art, but Hall of Fame announcers deserve every bit of it.

1 Like

As an Angels fan, I’m still mad he didn’t get inducted in his uniform since that was the team he put up his best numbers for. He was basically their first big star athlete before hitters like Carew and Grich.

At least they have Vlad now.

2 Likes

If you have MLB.TV, you can choose the radio audio instead of TV audio on many devices. That’s what I usually do, except with the Mets, who have both excellent TV and radio booths.

1 Like

For home games, I go back and forth between TV and radio depending on the inning. Brewers fans have been blessed with Bob Uecker on the radio (for those who don’t know, he was the announcer on Major League. At 88, he still calls part of all home games.) and Brian Anderson on TV.

2 Likes