Moderation for when things get off topic?

@Lesley

To be honest, I’ve never been wild about how Reddit looks or behaves, though I’m probably in the minority here. I’ve found some worthwhile things to read there on occasion, but overall the look of the place gives me headaches.

MichaelRobertson

True. Then the only risk is that several small threads are all closely related in subject, if not totally redundant: with no way to wrangle them all into a single larger thread with the proper subject umbrella. [shrug] I guess no system is going to be perfect, though.

3 Likes

I wonder if there’s a plug-in or some such wherewith a usern could hide an entire off-topical thread from the branching reply and it also hides the chronologically placed replies thereof. I don’t see that many wild hairs getting in the way too badly very much but if something becomes a burr in one’s bottom zone, such a hide-this clickable might be just the ticket for their sanity.

1 Like

Does muting a topic do something similar to this? There’s no real “reporting” option for a digression or off-topic wandering, because reporting for a meandering discussion that veers into one or more irrelevant topics seems like a heavy response to turn around and “lock” the thread…

1 Like

Between @Lesley’s and @MichaelRobertson’s replies, I think we’ve got all the tools we need to handle this. I’m of the opinion that enforcement should be a last resort; people drift around in conversation, online and off, it’s just being human. I personally like things to be neatly compartmentalized and perpetually clean, but we’re messy creatures and I just have to accept that.

I guess no forum software is ideal – Reddit has pros/cons, likewise for Discourse – but all things considered I feel like we’re doing pretty good. I think so long as the aggregate attitude of everyone here remains one of politeness and consideration, we’ll be alright, and we can cope with a few bumps here and there.

12 Likes

:guilty look: This was all my fault. I shall return to the audiophile basement, forthwith.

I’m kidding of course, and I’m well aware of my tendency to ramble. If I’m getting to far into the weeds for anyone, don’t be afraid to let me know and I’ll chill. I’m easy to get along with (unless you’re a Pittsbugh Penguins fan. Okay, I’m joking again. )

But as for modding for topicality (… is that a word?) I kind of like for threads to mod themselves and flex here and there, that way it feels more like a natural conversation. My one personal exception to this would be the subject of Politics… because that always seems to completely devour any thread it’s brought into. Political discussion is probably safest in its own thread(s).

All this is of course just my personal opinion and I’ll go along however the group goes.

9 Likes

Hey when people truly geek out on something there’s no stopping them :smiley: I didn’t intend to single out the audiophile thread as an extreme example, it’s just one place I noticed that had spawned its own “side” discussion. I love that someone had a Mundane Accomplishment about audio equipment and discovered a wellspring of enthusiasm.

I don’t know if you saw the Forum Feedback suggestion that we have a separate politics topic, but the resounding response to that was “please no for the love of all that is holy can’t we just have this one space without it” :grin: If I want politics or to mock and be mocked, I’ll hit up Twitter for that. So I think we’re good on the No Politics thing here.

6 Likes

Yeah, and I think that particular thread is kind of in danger of that happening? It’s almost “Conversation Starters: The Thread.” I love it though, for that reason.

I did not see that, but I’m glad someone said it, because I agree wholeheartedly. I just didn’t want to dictate to anyone … but if no one ever raised the specter of politics here, ever, I’d be a happy man.

5 Likes

Now if we could just have a sensible discussion about Adam West’s performance in Zombie NIghtmare, I think the underlords will have been satisfied.

No, it’s not your fault @TheDoktor: I’m equally if not moreso to blame.

Perhaps it’s a tribute to this forum and its participants that things can get a bit off track, and following the standard “bar rules” of no politics, etc., there’s really nothing to be apologetic about.

Meh, some people are more prolix than others, as in life, and indeed IRL I often move locations when people are loud or about an uninteresting subject (real estate, healthcare, etc., are common topics IRL).

Yes, it is annoying, but, I don’t think there’s a perfect solution.

Unless everything is “sports” and “weather.” Which is, IMHO, just fine with me, but IMHO it can be fun to go with a given topic.

Provided it’s a reasonably brief exchange.

It’s not possible to predict what will prove itself to be of interest to the several surrounding members.

And, there’s always the Lounge, but that is super-secret and all that.

5 Likes

Cheese filled are my fav

1 Like

I’m guilty to a degree as well. Part of that is that I don’t particularly see this as forum for earnestly serious dialog on most topics. This forum, as other have pointed out, has a foundation in a show in which there are constant comments derailing you from the main thread of the movie. That the forum would end up in similar straits should surprise no-one.

I’ve started a number of threads with an ostensibly “reasonable” discussion topic and had the first reply be a riff. That doesn’t bother me at all, it’s the nature of the place, and my response is usually to riff right back. I think if I took this place seriously I’d be pretty upset all the time.

Now, this isn’t to say that everyone’s experience or expectations have to be mine. I do think there is scope for serious discussion here. But I also think you need to mitigate your expectations. As has also been said, conversation is an organic process. Forcing it to stay on one topic to the exclusion of all else is not a conversion, it’s a lecture or a debate.

Perhaps one solution is another subcategory here, Real Talk or Rap Session or whatever you wish to label it as, which is devoted to serious topics that are meant to stay on topic. Giving folks a way to know that that’s the kind of thread you want to have would help us self-moderate our riffing impulses there. Otherwise it’s not clear what is fair game and what is off limits, in terms of letting a thread flow naturally.

12 Likes

I’ll make an attempt to gently steer stray topics if I see them in the future. (That was me, setting an intention.) I am very hesitant to flag a post because I don’t want to dash anyone’s dreams of regular-hood, especially over wandering topic. Now, you post spam or get nasty, you’re dead to me. But I’ve not seen even a hint if that yet.

7 Likes

I’m glad to hear that: you sound like you’re on the ball!

I think I have tendency to push up against the limits, especially if drinking and typing are combined, and I would actually appreciate a heads-up if I get a little too far over the line. My intentions are always playful, but my judgment is not always the best.

At any rate, I’m going to make more of an effort to be a better moderator of my own goofiest impulses.

7 Likes

Same here. It’s easy to get caught up in a mood and not realise that one’s posts may not match how they sound in one’s head. Fortunately we seem to have a very tolerant and understanding community that is always ready to extend the benefit of the doubt. Which is a pretty rare commodity in and of itself.

9 Likes

I used to read every single post on the forum, but along came the backers, and now I can barely keep up with the Super-Secret Pseudo-Private Regular Lounge™.

I don’t think I’ll be catching up with the posts anytime soon, but I am going to try and apply a little gentle nudge here and there when it looks like it’s needed.

6 Likes

I’ll admit that there are times when I’ll look at the number of new posts in a topic and it’s just far too overwhelming to contemplate getting through them all. But then I feel bad about not reading them and just posting my own replies so I end up not going into those topics at all. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the earliest days here I was reluctant to use the thread mute function, but I’ve embraced it after the explosive growth. Maybe you’ve done the same? I’ll always read at least the first couple posts in new threads, but if it’s clear that the topic isn’t one I’ll want to follow, muting it helps me avoid feeling overwhelmed.

I feel like we’ve recently gone over a hump here; daily new posts seem to be in the dozens instead of hundreds. So it might be a moment to seize for catching up if you’re so inclined.

3 Likes

There shouldn’t be any pressure to read every last thread anyway. Only so many hours in a day.

5 Likes

I’d like to complain. People aren’t staying on topic on my LEAVE THE BRONX post. They aren’t leaving the Bronx.

8 Likes

Hey Folks I found a case of Ham Dingers in the right Corner of this Thread.

2 Likes

Technically, this is off topic since it has nothing to do with MST3K and that’s what we are all here for.

Sometimes discussions come to the surface when they need be, I don’t see an issue with going off topic in a thread if there is a natural line to be drawn.

Unless someone is just going around saying “quack” in people’s posts. Actually, that’s hilarious I’m okay with that too.

I think the main issue this forum community is having is the limitations and rules discourse puts on the user. They are two fold.

A stupid limit on how many comments you can put on a post.

And then NO limit whatsoever on the amount of posts a single user can make.

I’ve seen a user make 80+ posts in under 2 months! That’s nearly 2 posts every single day. Because of how discourse works and shows the community new posts, this single person’s posts is drowning out others posts. The only way I can get a good balance of posts and topics is by checking every single day, and that’s not feasible for me.

The posts made aren’t necessarily bad. But they seem to sizzle only for a little bit, or the majority of the posts only has 1-2 comments.

It seems like Discourse needs to readjust how content is generated. It seems to be in favor for the post maker and not the community creating buzz under the post.

To me, a good forum gives the users much more flexibility in how they interact with the forum, and not silly comment limits, or just an overall UI that doesn’t give us the best means of reading and looking through the forums for topics we care about.

3 Likes