More Live Shows

I would love to see them do more live shows, something similar to Rifftrax. More cities, more promos, more merch. I would love to see a live show and I would def make a donation then.
What are the odds of bringing back some more original cast for special shows. Season 14 is coming. I have faith in Joel.

Original cast? That would be zero percent.
Joel has stated that he’s not doing tours any more, and Trace isn’t coming back. J. Elvis hasn’t specifically ruled it out, but that’s not happening either.

Live shows may be possible, but expect they’d be Emily’s crew. Maybe for a ‘special’ show you might get Mary Jo.

5 Likes

Those are diametrically opposed. Rifftrax does a single live show once, and broadcasts it around the country. They don’t do physical merch, with rare exceptions. There’s also the not insignificant fact that the only reason Rifftrax can afford to do those shows in the first place is… crowdfunding.

I also, not to be a downer, am not sure how much longer their current live show model is going to be viable for Rifftrax. The past two years have only had one live show each, instead of multiple a year including rebroadcasting old shows. I’m not sure if that’s a financial issue, something to do with Fathom Events, or something else but it is a factor.

5 Likes

I never attended any of the live MST3K shows. They were near enough to me that I could get to them, but the ticket prices put me off. I don’t remember exactly, but I think they were like $150? Was that the case everywhere or just New York? (I may also be misremembering the price, but I feel strongly they were not below $100.)

2 Likes

Oh, yikes. I don’t remember for all the shows, but it was $50 for me for the Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour in 2019.

2 Likes

That might have been a New York thing. I saw the first live tour in San Francisco and tickets were $50 (plus the extortionate $13 service fee). But I got them as part of the Kickstarter pre-sale, so I don’t know if they got more expensive for non-KS backers.

2 Likes

I saw the Great Cheesy Movie tour and tickets were less than $60 for my section.

1 Like

Yep. We got the break, too. Still could only afford to see 1 of the 2 shows on the first tour. For the second tour, there was only one show in our city so that dilemma was gone. : P

2 Likes

Thanks for info. I get it, there is a price for everything. Just seems as tho more could have been done to get the word out. And I will be honest, I dont really know too much about the strike, and I dont doubt that the cast should get what they deserve, but if that were me, and new episodes were on the line, and I realized we were so close to making the goal… I would have done whatever I could to raise the money. Strike or no strike.

1 Like

Original meaning Joel and Mike’s crew. Does anyone know why certain members arent willing to make special appearances to raise money? I dont think i would pay money to see Emily’s crew.

1 Like

You’d be missing out then. The new cast members were very good onstage.

The thing about launching a stage tour to promote the recorded show is that there’s no guarantee it would make enough money to justify the expense. They might end up further in the hole than they started out. :confused:

7 Likes

Definitely not happening. He is mostly focusing on his filmmaking career now.

2 Likes

I attended both the Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour and the Time Bubble Tour. They were hilarious! Absolutely hilarious. Watching MST3K at home is one thing. Attending a live show, with a live audience, is another. I would absolutely pay to see Emily and her bots tormented by Mega-Synthia again. I’ll never again pass up an opportunity to attend MST3K Live. “Shut up and take my money!!”

7 Likes

Omg i DESPERATELY want more live shows! The Bubble Tour was fantastic and I’d love to see the Emily crew live again

…do we think it’s likely to happen though?

4 Likes

Didn’t Kevin have a bit of a health issue at some point in the last year or so? I seem to recall him posting vaguely about having been ill.

He lost some weight in the last year or so. I’m not sure if that was due to a health scare or just making some different choices.

1 Like

I’d like to see a new live show but if it comes down to money for another season or money for a live show, I’d still prioritize the season.

And, yeah. The founders of MST3K are getting up there in years. I think they’ve earned the right to just relax and go fishing and not spend three months on a bus or a holiday in airports if they’d rather not.

1 Like

Not sure about Kevin, but Frank had open heart surgery a couple of years ago, so it’s great to see him active.

2 Likes

lol and he’s constantly whistling past the graveyard by making jokes about it. :grin:

4 Likes

I would expect him to do nothing else.

2 Likes