most underrated experiment?

I previously saw this in the Kickstarter comments and wanted to revive it here, mostly because we did the Kickstarter under my partner’s account so I never got to post my contribution :upside_down_face:

My vote is for Squirm.

It. Has. Everything.

• worm farming
  • underwhelming fight scene, starring board
  • egg creams
  • questionable fashion choices
  • weird prison “relations”

And, of course

MR. BEAAAAARDSLYYYYYYYYY

Audience, what’s your diagnosis?

8 Likes

I stumbled across this once and absolutely loved it. I could not stop saying “Mr. Beardsly” for days afterwards. It’s so ridiculous, hilarious, and really is a very underrated episode. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

AND it introduced us to this lil’ demon.

https://gfycat.com/badunhappygnat

4 Likes

my sincerest apologies to coily, i deserve to live a life without springs

4 Likes

No arguments against your pick, @anya348. I want to offer an alternative but it’s difficult for me to really suss out which experiments are underrated . . . . other than the few obvious highly rated candidates (like Pod People or Manos), it seems like there’s always someone who loves an episode.

I do know that my personal fave, ep. 402 (The Giant Gila Monster) rarely seems to come up. Would you consider that to be underrated? As far as I’m concerned, the fact that me just posting this comment is going to result in I SING WHENEVER I SING WHENEVER I SIIIING!! being jammed in my brain for the next week is proof enough of the brilliance of that episode.

Also, “Who put sody-pop in my sody-pop?”

Also, the ‘bots’ abject screaming during “Laugh, Children, Laugh.”

Also, knees up!

Also, nitroglycerin.

mqdefault

8 Likes

@Thomariffic The Giant Gila Monster was one of my first eps that I recorded on VHS and watched it often. I could probably recite it from memory. :grimacing: Good skits, great riffs (I love Joel giving the monster’s take).

I will also add The Thing That Couldn’t Die to the pile. I’m not sure why I like it so much. It’s just so darn earnest. “Did you may-sure the tray-sure?” “Jessica?!”

4 Likes

The problem with participating in these forums (forra?) is that every comment makes me want to rewatch an episode. Thing That Couldn’t Die is so hazy in my memory, but your quote starts me guffawing. I need to see it again!

3 Likes

Nailed it. I’ve watched more episodes in the last few weeks than I thought possible. Whoever does trend analysis at YouTube must think I’ve gone loco

2 Likes

“The Deadly Bees” doesn’t get a lot of mentions, but it’s such a delight.

“Objection! Stupid hat!”

7 Likes

I always feel like “The Girl in Lovers Lane” doesn’t get enough recognition.

7 Likes

I love that episode but it’s suuuuch a bummer plot wise that I can’t rewatch it very often.

3 Likes

My pick is Samson Vs The Vampire Women…

uniquely bizarre lead character, hilarious riffing, great prop comedy, Dr. F sings a song by himself, Torgo The White, and Frank’s farewell.

It’s perfection.

3 Likes

The Giant Gila Monster. Non-stop hilarity from beginning to end. “Do I turn left?” “Right!” “But should I go backward?” “Go ahead.”

6 Likes

I also like The Leach Woman (although it completely wrecked the name “Neil” for me when we were considering boy names…) and The Mole People. I’m a sucker for all those “this could really happen!” B&W ones.

5 Likes

My sister and I love The Thing that Could Die.

I hope you drop peanut butter on your toe!

4 Likes

That’s one I haven’t seen in a very long time but would love to watch again.

3 Likes

Hmm. Lately I think it’s Tormented. “Tom Stewart killed me!” from Laughing Woman Empowered By Death to Have Opinions About Stuff. The newspaper dress. The locket as a prop. The lighthouse killing. Good average melodrama.

8 Likes

Because I’m a numbers junkie, for a number of years, I’d rate each experiment that I’d watch (anyone relate?). So I pulled out those rankings and compared them to how the 2015 Kickstarter donors voted.

(I’d wager that a few of us voted in that poll)

Some of the experiments that I seem to be considerably more fond of include Agent For H.A.R.M., Angels’ Revenge, Devil Fish, and Horrors of Spider Island.

But the most underrated? Give me The Incredible Melting Man - Ted Nelson, “Atchka!,” a cracker crisis, a melting man, a frisky old couple pilfering lemons, Earth Vs. Soup and so much more!

It ranked #5 for me, but it was only #87 in the 2015 Kickstarter donors poll.

6 Likes

Then the beatnik boat guy shows up and he’s instantly a treasure trove of great riffs!

6 Likes

:notes:With Jack Elam not Jack LaLanne…:notes:

4 Likes