• Pre-Code
  • Romance
  • Sci-Fi
  • Screwball
  • Silent
  • Thriller
  • Western

0 voters

Criterion is selling Tee Shirts and asking that very question - for giggles I’ll put that question to the forum, what Tee(s) would buy - or rather, what’s your favorite genre (I’ve allowed up to 3 votes)

2 Likes

I might actually grab one of these, or ask Santa for one. They are simple, but sweet, and they have the Criterion logo on the back.

As for the ??, I liked them all.

But if I could only afford 3, Western and Noir for certain. For my third, mmm, I love animation, indie, screwball… but I think I have to go Silent.

BTW - I wonder if that’s a typo, or if Avant-Garde is really printed backward (I’d love it if it was)

Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Animated. My favoritest genre of all, Superhero, encompasses all these things nicely.

2 Likes

I don’t watch that many movies, but I chose Musical, Screwball and Pre-Code. I think most of the movies I like would fit into one of those, with things like the Python movies, the Christopher Guest movies and Network maybe fitting into “Screwball”. There wasn’t a choice for just “Comedy”.

I get the sense this is different from a lot of the people here, who seem to generally be fans of Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror. A good example of this was when I didn’t know who Jeffrey Combs was when Doctor Mordrid premiered and everyone else seemed to be familiar with him.

1 Like

Your right, I had to check and see if I missed it, but nope, no comedy. Interesting that they narrowed it down to screwball, though that does make for a more amusing Tee…

In fact, I’d like to walk around with “screwball” printed on my shirt, that would be a laugh and a half.

2 Likes

Too many for the poll:

Action, animation, fantasy, mystery, sci-fi, westerns.

Basically, anything that isn’t a chick flick. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I looked at my Letterboxd stats, and it says my top 3 most-watched genres are Drama (which covers a lot of ground), Comedy, and Romance.

Western isn’t in my LB top 10, but that’s more about the fact that the western had a relatively narrow window of popularity, with the 50s and 60s being their peak period. Theirs just not enough of them to compete with the top genres

Fantasy Romance Screwball [yeah, weird that “comedy” is absent]

…is that kinda The Princess Bride?

3 Likes

You left comedy absent. Prepare to die, Criterion!

1 Like

It seems like a decent poll. I hate to kill it.

2 Likes

I picked Noir, but that’s just because deviant, hardcore…movies… wasn’t one of the options.

Romance? Is this a kissing poll?