Movie Franchises and Studios You Collect/Enjoy?

Oh, let me think. Not many, really, as outside of a select few shows (bet you can guess one of them), I prefer the spoken word to video.

The Larry Blamire canon (the Lost Skeleton movies, Johnny Slade’s Greatest Hits, Dark and Stormy Night and Trail of the Screaming Forehead) comes to mind first.

After that is probably unMSTed versions of the movies done on MST3K.

And on the ‘guilty pleasures’ list are the Hercules (et al.) movies of the 50s and 60s.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I have all the Studio Ghibli features that involved Hayao Miyazaki, plus a few (not enough!) of the non-Ghibli ones like Horus, On your Mark etc.
I’m not quite so keen on Takahata’s work, apart from the magnificent Grave of the Fireflies.

1 Like

I live by Tremors and will die by Tremors. !

3 Likes

In addition to another Rifftrax sale, Barnes and Noble is having their 50% off Criterion sale (I see a few of you mention collecting them).

xNsamgU90AgSxCEEf6WJUqadV2dfxm_large

After receiving the email notification I quickly drove down to pick up Devi - I’ve waited soooo long for this restoration. Devi is one of Satyajit Ray’s under-appreciated masterpieces, as it’s not one that gets a lot of critical attention - maybe because the only copies looked pretty crappy.

Many years ago I heard that a restoration for Devi was in the works - this restoration was hindered by the fact that they didn’t have the master print. But man, I took a look at it when I got home, and they did some stellar work on it, it’s like seeing the movie for the first time.

I also grabbed After Life from Kore-eda

2 Likes

I noticed online that B&N is also having a 50% Arrow Video sale, for some of your cult and horror needs.

4 Likes

Oh, and there’s one of my all-time favorite flicks offered from that sale…

Though I have the old fantoma DVD, that’s tempting - there are also favorites like the Ringo westerns, Orchestra Rehearsal and Images.

F13
BTTF
Evil Dead trilogy

1 Like