Movies for MST3K: The Animated Series

No, not like that collection of short things that were done years ago. I’m talking about if they decided, like Star Trek before it, to do an animated series of MST3K which was the same spirit as the regular show but they just did cartoon movies. In this way it could be any era due to just needing the voice work for the characters instead of having the actors, but let’s not worry about the logistics of that for now.

If they were to do such a thing, what animated cheese do you think could be served up? I know Rifftrax did a few here and there, would any of those be possible?

I’ll offer this as the first suggestion:
GoBotsMovie

21 Likes

I submit The Christmas Tree. I can see the bots having fun/miserable time.

MV5BYjQxNzZkYzUtODZiZS00MzgzLWFhZTItMmViYjM0NDQ1Nzk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg4NzY5ODc@.V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,25,190,281

9 Likes

I think the original 90’s ReBoot deserves a riff. It was one of the first to use computer animation.

15 Likes

Eh, maybe the first season of ReBoot. Season 2 started building to story stuff, which Season 3 capitalized on. Season 4 was trying to wrap up a loose thread or two of Season 3. So I would think most of it would be “too good” for MST treatment.

From what I’ve heard about it though, the sequel series “The Guardian Code”…yeah, that would fit.

6 Likes

FoodFight is probably the actual worst film I’ve ever seen. Terrible animation, unfunny, horrible messaging, uncomfortably sexually aggressive for a supposed kids movie. It honestly makes one nauseous to watch, it’s so ugly and contemptuous of its audience.

15 Likes

This movie isn’t necessarily bad, but it could really use some exposition. I think our favorite twisted minds could come up with a few riffing themes.

8 Likes

Bakshi Lord of the Rings.

6 Likes

The Mouse And His Child, being so totally 1970s, seems like an obvious choice. However, it’s one of my all time favorite stories, so… Not sure I could get through a riffed version.

(I had that issue with the Rifftrax Wizard Of Oz. As Frank Conniff said in an interview about movies in general, sometimes you want to tell the hecklers, “Shut up, you [redacted]! I’m watching this!!”)

5 Likes

Not Rankin-Bass Return of the King? It could work. After all…

10 Likes

This movie was not made by the sane or trustworthy. It’s a movie that makes you question the existence of God.

5 Likes

Are we counting this as animation, or should there be a separate category? It doesn’t seem to fit well anywhere, but chock full of riffable delights.

3 Likes

I can think of a dozen or so straight-to-DVD Disney sequels that deserve some riffing, but that’s never going to happen.

There are two (count 'em, two) poorly-made animated movies about the sinking of the Titanic: Titanic: The Legend Goes On and The Legend of the Titanic. (No, somehow these are not the same movie.) Both of them seem to be bottom-of-the-barrel quality, but if I had to pick one, well, The Legend Goes On has a rapping dog… Watch at your own risk.

9 Likes

Also, terrible character design, lifeless eyes, nonsensical rules to reality in that universe, terrible plot, blatant product placement, horrible stereotypes, general grossness…

4 Likes

I was actually worried about that with Wizard of Oz, as I love the movie. I was surprised I actually loved the riffs, though. Maybe it’s because it’s been parodied so much elsewhere that I could separate myself from it enough to enjoy the jabs at it. Same goes for Willy Wonka. If they ever were to riff the Muppets, though, I don’t know if I’d be as cool with that.

5 Likes

There’s also the Titanic sequel which is totally nonsensical. I believe it’s Tentacolino.

I said in another animated riff thread that Dingo Pictures has several terrible ‘films’ that could easily be riffed. Bad dubbing by, like, three people for all the characters, terrible animation, stolen character designs, plenty of garbage space (i.e. areas where you can see where the cel ends, but the background continues), totally out of nowhere swearing, and bad mockbuster attempts.

Rap Sittie Kids: Believe in Santa is another one that must be seen to be believed. So terrible! However, it has numerous famous veteran voice actors and actresses-- Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson), Jodie Benson (Ariel), Grey Delisle (many, many female characters-- Daphne from Scooby-Doo is a major one), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker, of course, but also Joker).

Trolland is another prime example of awfulness and ugliness in animation.

There are PLENTY more. If you haven’t already, ya’ll should check out Saberspark, Phelous, and/or Cinema Snob on YouTube, as they delve into many of terrible animated films/direct to video nonsense.

5 Likes

Lol, this reminds me of one of Robert Smigel’s SNL cartoons in the late '90s that parodied the Titanic phenomenon. It was a fake ad for an animated feature called Titey. I don’t know if it exists on the Internet.

6 Likes

A hilariously misguided musical adaptation of King Kong for kids, with none other than Jodi “Ariel” Benson as the female lead (including one musical number that clearly only exists to remind us of The Little Mermaid).

5 Likes

I LOVED THAT ONE. …and Whoopi Goldberg as the iceberg!

5 Likes

So my dad’s idea of ‘visitation’ was to drop us off at the movie theater and then pick us up and take us home, so we tended to see what ever ‘kiddie’ movie was playing several times (as movies ran for more weeks then than they do now).

Wasn’t so bad when it was Mary Poppins, but I will never recover from ‘Pinocchio in Outer Space’.

7 Likes

G.I. Joe the Movie, the ultimaye experience in senseless patriotism that doesn’t really go anywhere. Reagonomics meet Reptiplex.

7 Likes