Movies for MST3K: The Animated Series

The intro is too awesome for MST3K though.

3 Likes

True enough, but Jonah and the bots would say something to the effect of “So the Statue of Liberty is a high value target. Honestly, the Ghostbusters already desecrated it beyond repair.”

2 Likes

Oh, and fun fact: G.I. Joe the Movie was animated by Toei Animations in Japan.

3 Likes

Race_For_Your_Life_Charlie_Brown_Opening_Title_1977-500x372

Some of the lines are gold.

Bully: (to Charlie Brown) Have you come to camp to try and be a man?
Crow: (as bully) For that, you have to go to the brothel five miles down the road!

6 Likes

I suggest Gigantor, it is what used to be called Japanimation and was one of the first Japanese shows on American TV. The giant robot was controlled by a joystick that somehow controlled arms, lets, flight, and anything else the robot was told to do.
Gigantor

3 Likes

In general, I subscribe to the idea that MST3K should avoid animation… But I would make an exception for The Snow Queen (1965). In fact, I’d strongly consider it for season 13’s Christmas special.

It’s a crazy nonsensical mess that fits right in with other Russo-Finish classics like Jack Frost and The Day the Earth Froze, in that it’s a weirdly padded out version of a Dutch fairy tale… translated into Russian… and then redubbed into English (including the musical numbers). The American version begins with a live-action introduction prologue by Art Linkletter, before leading into the original prologue, in which an old man who looks suspiciously like Mr. Magoo (but who’s known here as “Old Dreamy”) reveals that he has the ability to people to sleep with his magical “slumbrella” and then invade their dreams with his creepy old fairy tales about child abduction. He then begins narrating the movie, which technically makes it a story within a story within a story.

The two main children in the movie are dubbed by the always riffable Tommy Kirk and Sandra Dee (aka “Gidget”). The animation is incredibly weird, and no two characters are drawn alike. The children are terrifying dead-eyed homunculus who look a bit like The Little Prince, but the supporting characters sometimes looks like Disney, sometimes like Warner Bros, and the Snow Queen herself is straight up anime. It’s a strange strange movie.

And as an added bonus, the American cut of the film with Art Linkletter is in the public domain. (or at least it was)

4 Likes

Savior of the earth I’d love to watch them riff it. It I’d one of the oldest mockbusters I’ve watched. It the Korean Tron nock off from 1983. It’s weird.
68390-savior-of-the-earth-0-230-0-345-crop

5 Likes

Guys…we all know that there is just one legit answers: veggietales!!!

4 Likes

I had that on VHS! I watched it so many times despite the fact I got nightmares about Monstro each time.

2 Likes

Filmation, the studio who gave us He-Man and Fat Albert, made the 1987 movie Pinnochio and the Emperor of the Night. It is a sequel to the original book by Carlo Collodi but also can count as a mockbuster. In this movie, our favorite termite hotel loses a gift he was bringing to the mayor from Gepetto; two swindlers, Scalawag and Igor, trick Pinnochio into swapping the gift for a worthless ruby. After getting yelled at by Gepetto, Pinnochio runs away to set things right. He eventually meets the evil Puppetino…who is the title villain in disguise.

The movie bombed at the box office and was torn apart by critics but has gained a cult following among 1980s children like myself. It’s not that bad and it has an impressive voice cast - Scott Grimes, Don Knotts, Ed Asner, Frank Welker, Tom Bosley, William Windon and James Earl Jones.

4 Likes

If episodes of TV series were allowed, pretty much all of the 90’s Iron Man cartoon would qualify.

2 Likes

Oh please, if we were to get into Christian based stuff we can sink WAAAAAAAAY lower. Veggietales is the EXCEPTION to the rule in that regard. Especially with the “Finding Nemo” rip-off movies (and that’s being too kind to them) “Finding Jesus” and “Finding Jesus 2”.

4 Likes

(The Adventures Of The) American Rabbit.

Dull, lazy, plodding, largely incomprehensible… perfect for MST3K!

5 Likes

I own that on DVD. I liked American Rabbit - Barry Gordon, best known as the voice of Donatello in the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, did a good job voicing the character.

Still, I think this would work on MST3K.

2 Likes

R

Rock & Rule would be a good one. But, I would choose the original Canadian version.

7 Likes

Before I read any other replies… dear GOD. I am in awe.

3 Likes

What about Happily Ever After - the Snow White movie that put Filmmation out of business?

3 Likes

I got one. Rock A Doodle, the title alone tells ya something. I saw it long ago and it’s…incomprehensible. It involves a rooster who looks like Elvis and sounds like Glen Campbell (cause it is) and an evil owl, I’m not making this up. And it’s a musical!
Incidentally, you might want to hold off on it for a little bit cause Christopher Plummer is in it and it’s a bit soon to make fun of him, IMHO

5 Likes

How has nobody suggested Starchaser: The Legend of Orin yet? This is practically the Manos: The Hands of Fate of '80s animation!

5 Likes

I once (very badly) edited together a cut of that movie with “commercial breaks” that contained the Fenslerfilm GI JOE redubbed PSA’s for my riffing group.

1 Like