Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

I think it’s been done by Rifftrax already, but the latchkey kid I was who had nothing but HBO to occupy me would love to see them try to make sense of Super Fuzz.

3 Likes

ZEBRAMAN
or
ZEBRAMAN 2 (but not sure if there is an english dub of it)

2 Likes

… I saw this one on its original release, in an Honest-to-Forester 20s movie palace. I have VERY good memories of this flick, and I can only imagine what the MST team could do with it.

3 Likes

The only Takashi Miike movies I hate. :confused:

Both stories certainly have the surface layer stuff that makes for good MST treatments… but… I dunno… they’re too self-aware of their absurdity to be sent through the wringer.

1 Like

Can’t forget about this gem of a movie. They even dubbed Arnold’s voice.

10 Likes

The trio of movies Rick Sloane made in the 80s - Blood Theatre (1984), The Visitants (1986), and Hobgoblins (1988) - all contain subtle references to each other. For example, McCreedy in Hobgoblins reads a magazine with The Visitants on the cover. The two earlier movies are quite riffable, relatively clean, and the evidence is there that all exist in a shared Rick Sloane Cinematic Universe.

4 Likes

Oh man, I just remembered the existence of The Wizard of Speed and Time (1988). It’s cheesy, terrifying, and completely charming as a labor of love by a director with a vision to entertain the children. Imagine Trumpy’s stop-motion horror drawn out to near feature length.

7 Likes

I would love to see some of the classic Hammer Horror with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee riffed.

3 Likes

It’s definitely, er…unusual.

3 Likes

I thought I had hallucinated Bloodmoon. Yes, it’s a prime candidate.

3 Likes

Elsewhere on the forums, I mentioned Fist of Fury with Bruce Lee. The villain of that movie, the head of the Japanese dojo, was played by Riki Hashimoto. Besides that role, the late Hashimoto was known for his role as Daimajin in the Daimajin trilogy from 1966.

Daimajin

Consisting of Daimajin, Return of Daimajin and Daimajin Strikes Again, the movies blend both kaiju with jidageki. Set in feudal Japan, it is about a giant statue that comes to life that destroys evil.

Did I mention Daimajin was made by Daiei Films, the same entity that gave us the Zatoichi films…and the Gamera movies?

Jonah and the bots would do well with this one.

7 Likes

Daimajin movies are like the bizarro Gamera movies, as the Gamera movies get more kid-friendly and out and out silly and the Daimajin movies just get GRIM.

It’s one of the few times where they turn in hard to the idea the monster is just as dangerous to the people who summoned him as their enemies.

7 Likes

Alien Factor is my favorite Cinematic Titanic riff.

6 Likes

Talking to a friend a week or so ago about movies HBO played endlessly in the ‘80s. He mentioned Tag: An Assassination Game. I had totally forgotten about it but remember loving it. It’s on YouTube and I plan to watch it this weekend with this thread in the back of my head.

image|321x500

5 Likes

Hyper Sapien: People from Another Star (1986) is a perfunctory mess of 80s ET cliches with action varied enough to offer rich riffing potential. And, the adorable, fuzzy comic-relief sidekick is… THIS:

8 Likes

This was where I mentioned Riki Hashimoto. The Daimajin movies and his role in Fist of Fury are what he’s best remembered for.

That and he played baseball for the Mainichi Orions back in the 1950s. No seriously! It’s mentioned on his Wikipedia page.

Chikara Hashimoto - Wikipedia

4 Likes

Morgan-the-pirate-movie-poster-1961-1020209069

How about Morgan the Pirate from 1961? This stars Steve Reeves (of Hercules fame) as the pirate Henry Morgan. Who knew that 17th century pirates looked like bodybuilders?

5 Likes

Where Time Began was a 1977 Spanish/Italian film adaptation of Jules Verne’s Journey to the Center of the Earth. It’s a pretty bad film with its opening credits set to black & white film clips, giant killer turtles and that strange logo at the beginning for the Independent Picture Show Company.

3 Likes

So I don’t know how anyone feels about Paul Naschy movies, but there is one I watched on YouTube called Vengeance of the Zombies. Now, this might be a bit graphic for MST3K, not sure, but its definitely a cheesy Spanish horror flick, which female undead zombies that look like Barbara Streisand and Mona Lisa.

Trailer

Shout Factory obtained the rights to it, but I am not sure if they still have them. It’s definitely a yawner to sit through, in my opinion.

IMDB

4 Likes

Not a movie, but I so hope some of the new shorts this season are 90’s information films about computers and the internet and whatnot, those are absolute comedy goldmines

8 Likes