Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

It’s already self aware, but I’d love to see Spirit of '76 riffed.

Here’s the trailer:

5 Likes

A friend just sent me this gem…

9 Likes

(seeing this months after it’s posted)

WOW. Who knew Milpitas had its own monster.

Reminds me of the fact that some kids made a musical about Colma:

And while Birdemic is not about a place, it is set and shot in San Mateo County (and possibly Santa Clara as well). Someone should create a “terrible movies of the SF suburbs” film festival :grin:

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this while watching the stream for Codename: Diamond Head. I really wish they would do more 70’s/80’s Made For TV movies. Like, there’s an endless wellspring of Quinn Martin productions waiting for them to riff.

7 Likes

Santa Jaws. And it can be a holiday special :grin:

5 Likes

“And ninjas.”

I was on the fence until that last note in the description. Orphaned priest with dinosaur shape-shifting abilities and a Chinese prostitute side-kick? I don’t know. It seems to need something more.

What’s that? And ninjas?

I’m in.

6 Likes

Speaking of TV movies, they need to riff any/all the movies based on the whole Amy Fisher/Joey Buttafuoco thing in the early '90s. May be too risque for MST3K, though. Probably Rifftrax territory.

7 Likes

Q - The Winged Serpent

7 Likes

Chinese ninjas? That alone deserves riffing.

2 Likes

Problem with that is that Forbidden Planet is a purely watchable film on its own. But I agree! It would make a good episode.

5 Likes

Blood Freak is a fantastic watch. The terrible casting of the main character. Hired to test experimental turkey meat. Tricked into smoking marijuana on a dare. The cupped hands to drink blood. Amazing.

2 Likes

Hugely recommend Voyage of the Rock Aliens.
Vanity vehicle for Pia Adorable paid for her super-rich husband. Cinematographer of STAR WARS! Co-starring Craig Sheffer of Nightbreed, Jermaine Jackson, Michael Berryman of The Hills Have Eyes, and Academy Award winner Ruth Gordon.
Musical-comedy-scifi-horror.
Pia Zadora sings with faux-Devo and faux-Stray Cats before battling a chainsaw killer before fighting a giant squid.

This is real.

4 Likes

I’ve always wanted to see this get riff’d without mercy.

2 Likes

Orca, the Killer Whale from 1977 - this Jaws rip-off is just begging to be screened by Jonah and the bots.

6 Likes

Jaws 4, Superman IV, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls.

Never going to happen, I know. But the 4ths are always prime for riffing.

4 Likes

Not sure if I’ve suggested this before but the Bates Motel TV movie from 1987 is glorious but awful and could support a good riffing. https://youtu.be/qAm8BuH0MCQ

2 Likes

Has anyone watched The Purple People Eater lately? I haven’t sat through it since the early 90s but I feel like it’s probably a good candidate.

6 Likes

As much as I love those shows I agree that they left plenty of room for riffing. Actually, I often think that we could do with a TV show spin off and make the gang watch a fixed schedule of shows, it would allow for an episodic approach to serials over time (rather than treating compilations like films or just having them as an individual short) as well as dropping in cartoons, episodes of sitcoms, awkward talk shows or infomercials etc. I suppose it would be like having a string of shorts instead of a short and a feature, but some of them would be revisited the next week.

3 Likes

I think that M. Night Shyamalan’s The Happening would make a great episode of MST3K, as would a lot of the director’s other films, such as Lady in the Water and The Last Airbender.

4 Likes

There’s certainly a lot of riff space in it.

3 Likes