Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

Forbidden Planet might actually be too good for MST3K… although any opportunity to watch it again is a welcome one, and I imagine the writers could go to town on the Shakespeare connections.

I’m guessing heavy-duty Z-movie classics like Plan 9 from Outer Space, The Room, and Troll 2 have been avoided thus far because they’re obvious choices, but I’d be down for any of them to appear on MST3K. As for more obscure picks, there’s always The Skateboard Kid, featuring the voice of Dom DeLuise as a sentient, flying robotic skateboard:

5 Likes

Whiskers (1997)

We’ve survived Merlin’s Shop and Mac And Me and A Talking Cat?!
We could get through this together, too.

:toilet: :cat2: I think… :thinking:

3 Likes

Wow, that movie is giving off a real strong Mac & Me vibe…

4 Likes

What if Robin Hood but heavily borrowed from Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy?

2 Likes

jake the dog nope

3 Likes

Quick thought (and apologies if it was mentioned earlier and I just missed it in this thread): has there been any consideration to them doing the movies that Film Ventures used in the credits for Pod People and Cave Dwellers (Galaxy invader and Taur, The Mighty respectively)?

5 Likes

Don’t suppose we’d be lucky enough to get :it: The Stranger And The Gunfighter :it: , starring Lo Lieh and our own Lee Van Cleef. I bet at least a quarter of the riffs would just be callbacks to It Conquered The World and Master Ninja , and I totally support that. :grin:

:spaghetti: :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

File this under “never going to happen” (Larry), but I’d love to see MST3k riff Highlander (I know Rifftrax have done it, but they can’t decapitate any of their cast during the host segments!)

4 Likes

Scary Movie (1991) SCARY MOVIE (1991) [Official Theatrical Trailer - AGFA] - YouTube

3 Likes

Honestly, I feel like any movie that’s a parody of other movies is basically one giant riff already; no need to riff on the parody. Go to the original source material though, and now we’re talking.

3 Likes

I was reminded of this yesterday watching that old clip of Norm MacDonald and Courtney Thorne-Smith on Late Night With Conan O’Brien that’s been going around the Internet–Chairman of the Board, that infamous Carrot Top flop that didn’t even gross $200k on a $10 million budget. Norm was spot-on in calling it “Box Office Poison”.

2 Likes

I’ve mercifully forgotten its name. But about ten years ago someone tried to do a Memento-esque cop show in which the bootheel-faced, boring “hero” is living two parallel lives at once after almost dying in a car wreck. In one reality, his wife perished, but in the other, his son did. He doesn’t know which reality is the “correct” one. It was a super-ambitious idea (apart from being yet another cop show with an unlikable bootheel-faced White guy as star) and it was bad, bad, bad. Anyone remember the name? I feel like MST3K could have a ball with it.

2 Likes

I think you’re thinking of NBC’s Awake with Jason Isaacs.

4 Likes

Thank you!

I’m sure his Mom and his pets love him a lot, as a person. But the whole time I was sitting through it, all I could think of was, “Sorry. I’m really unappealing” and “How can you not love a skull like this?!”

2 Likes

Very welcome!

Yeah, I thought the premise was innovative, but the execution left something to be desired.

3 Likes

I would’ve much rather seen each reality’s shrink run into each other on the astral plane and have an hour-long debate over which one of them was real, and which one of them had the bigger jerk for a patient. Like The Good Place but before it actually existed. Anything but… another damn cop show. [sigh]

3 Likes

File this under “It deserves a Riffing, but it’ll never happen”: Haunted Dormitory: Marionette Teacher

A Chinese produced, PG-13 rated horror outing that feels like it’s trying to be a live action version of a Scooby-Doo episode, but without the benefit of the clumsy CGI dog. It uses random, contradictory film filters, has a shoehorned romance angle, and a ghost that must like to skateboard 'cause she rolls everywhere.

Content-wise the film would be perfect. The first few minutes literally start out with a girl wandering around in the dark and calling out the same two phrases to a disembodied voice. Unfortunately the film hasn’t been dubbed and the subtitles, even on official streaming platforms, are atrocious. The pacing is terrible and there’s no kind of punctuation whatsoever. I think they just ran the script through Google Translate.

Which is probably also what they did on the official IMDB page:

Oi.

3 Likes

Mentioned earlier was the 1972 schlockfest Night of the Lepus.

Nightoflepus

I think the movie was even mentioned by the cast during the original series! I’m guess it has yet to be riffed for two reasons.

One is that maybe the film is just too easy.

Two (and the more likely scenario) is that it’s due to rights issues.

9 Likes

They really need to do the 1976 Bert I. Gordon production Food of the Gods.

Very loosely based on the H.G. Wells story of the same name, it has a remote Canadian island that has some strange substance on there that makes worms, chickens, wasps and even the rats grow to giant sizes. Trick photography is used here.

There is so much material here for Jonah, Crow and Tom Servo - Canada, Bert I. Gordon, the cheese factor and references to the earlier episode Village of the Giants, also another loose adaptation of the Wells story by Bert I. Gordon!

9 Likes

RT has done it, but as they themselves have returned to re-riff old MST3K favorites several times, I’d call it fair, uh… game.

6 Likes