Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

That video of Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry talking about Windows 95.

4 Likes

Was surfing Amazon Prime’s videos that are automatically included and came across absolute GOLD.

LLAMAGEDDON.

Featuring some of the worst acting, camera work, and special effects since Birdemic. Judging by the trailer anyway. If this doesn’t get riffed by either MST3K or Rifftrax they are MISSING OUT.

7 Likes

There’s one genre I want to see more of on MST3K - WESTERNS!

We only got about 4 of them on the series. We had Gunslinger, Last of the Wild Horses and the Painted Hills on the original series plus the Beast of Hollow Mountain during the revival.

How about some of the poorer quality Spaghetti Westerns of the 1970s and early 1980s? By that time, the subgenre turned away from the gritty Sergio Leone pieces to more comical work like the Trinity duology with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.

Buddy Goes West from 1981 would be a good pick. I’m sure the rascally Bud Spencer would provide good fodder for Jonah and the bots.

5 Likes

The show was very close to getting the Elvis Presley western Charro! during the original run. CharroElvis

7 Likes

Oh, oh wow… that cover is a treasure… I’d actually love to see MST3K do some 80’s flicks like that.

5 Likes

I saw Orca when it came out. It was indeed horrible. This deserves a solid riffing.

4 Likes

I hate to even touch on it, so not even going to type its name but
Animated GIF

But if MST3K riffed it, that means I would have to watch it again, and I still have not fully forgiven the friends who wanted to watch it in the theater that night when it came out.
(we went for dinner, I didn’t drive, and the alternative was to wait the run time with nothing to do) I knew there was no way it would be good, I told them in advance it was gonna suck, but it was so much worse.

7 Likes

I appreciate the amount of effort put into the creature effects. I get the impression Don Dohler really cared, he was just incapable of making a competent movie.

2 Likes

I’m really quite fond of the RiffTrax take on that one.

3 Likes

I would vote for either Robot Jox or Robot Wars.

5 Likes

Then I have good news for you!

3 Likes

Like @AhnyerKeester, I saw Orca when it was initially released. It was as a Dino De Laurentiis-ful double-feature with King Kong at our local drive-in. I was a kid, so I actually enjoyed it.

And, it does have a soundtrack by the legendary Ennio Morricone so it would fit in The Curious Case of Awful Movies with Great Soundtracks thread.

5 Likes

I know Robot Wars. Years ago, when my family lived in rural North Carolina, my brother and I rented a copy of Robot Wars from a local video store on VHS tape. (That just revealed my age!)

We liked it because it had giant robots and lasers. I can’t wait to see Jonah and the bots screen this one. I wonder what Servo and Crow will say about those giant mecha.

3 Likes

Mutilations (1986) feels very much like a MSTie. From its attempt to be campy but falling short and being plain bad instead, to stop motion sequences that took way too much time and effort. Only thing is it’s too gory in places. The bizarre tonal shifts just add to the (un)enjoyment. It appears to be the only movie Larry Thomas ever made. Not sure if it’s PD but it’s on YouTube.

4 Likes

I suggest Clockmaker (apparently also called Timekeeper). My family found it on an “adventure movie 8-pack” someone gave us, and watched it because it looked to be the best of the bunch. After watching it, we were too scared to try any of the others.

2 Likes

Solarbabies.

Kind of a 10th-generation copy of Rollerball with some Beyond Thunderdome mixed in, but for kids. Charles Durning is a warden who disappears inexplicably halfway through the movie. (Probably because they ran out of money to pay him.) Somehow they got Smokey Robinson to sing the terrible closing theme. I’m pretty sure the kidnapping of a beloved pet was involved. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

The Cool Ones!! (1967, dir. Gene Nelson) With Roddy McDowall &…um…well…a cameo from 1960s novelty singer Mrs. Miller?

I recently subjected a group of friends to this film, & every single one of them was violently upset by the end of the movie. Their blurbs for the DVD cover would be:

“What are we even watching right now??”

“I’m sorry, what in God’s name is going on with those socks??”

“That’s it. Palm Springs is ruined forever.”

“I’m begging you, please, PLEASE turn this off.”

Watching the SoL gang get through even one number of this inexplicably awful musical would be GOLD.

4 Likes

I’m seconding Krull. My favorite bad movie, because I actually enjoy its soundtrack (see: The Curious Case of Awful Movies with Great Soundtracks) and its visuals. But wow, the acting and plotting are hilariously bad. Probably the script too, but it’s hard to tell if its bad because of the acting, or bad on its own. I’ve been quietly hoping that it’ll make it onto MST3K one of these days for a few years now.

2 Likes

This was actually riffed! It’s delightful :smiley:

1 Like

You know, I’ve always wished MST3k would go back and do another “Rocky Jones, Space Ranger” movie. They did 2 of them (Crash of the Moons and Manhunt in Space), but 8-10 more were made.

Most of the show was done in 3-episode arcs, and most of those arcs were edited together into movies later.

If they riffed a new one, it would also be a connection between the newer episodes and older ones, kind of like the Ator movies.

5 Likes