Movies that Need to be Riffed by the MST3K Gang

I saw this on the old Scifi Channel under the title The Advanced Guard.

1 Like

We’re watching one right now that would be perfect, it’s “The Car,” about an evil motor vehicle that kills people. It’s deeply, deeply silly but takes its subject seriously.

3 Likes

@rodneylives A film beloved by Guillermo del Toro. He actually owns a replica of it. Talk about dedication.

4 Likes

On second thought, do any of Basil Rathbones Sherlock Holmes outings count as movies? Than yes. Those.
hbalt

2 Likes

Such a great movie!

2 Likes

Definitely would be a good movie to riff. I remember seeing this with my folks in the movie theater as my parents remembered the “Beach” films of the 1960’s fondly enough.

2 Likes

That is badass and The Car would be a great film to riff for sure.

3 Likes

You’ll need a whole sketch just to cover the absurdity of figuring out that the villain can’t get into hallowed ground (like a church), but then just sending everyone back home to their unhallowed residences. :roll_eyes: Not to mention the oh-so-subtle redemption arc they made for that jerk who beat his spouse. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Just for the ska musical number alone with Fishbone. Plenty of opportunities to joke about Aunt Becky’s recent legal troubles as well.

2 Likes

Bugsy Malone (1976)

2 Likes

Bugsy Malone is a weird-ass movie. Apparently in the UK it’s as beloved as Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and is one of the most played movies in classrooms. There’s a pretty great How Did This Get Made? episode on it, too.

2 Likes

Bugsy Malone might be too much of a comedy.

1 Like

I wonder if documentaries or docudramas are off-limits. If not, they need to do the 1981 film The Man Who Saw Tomorrow.

The Man Who Saw Tomorrow - Wikipedia

The_Man_Who_Saw_Tomorrow

This documentary was narrated by Orson Welles and is about the predictions about Nostradamus; Welles discusses events supposedly predicted by Nostradamus such as the French Revolution, the rise of Hitler, the Holocaust, etc.

What’s funny about this movie is two things: First, Welles only did this for the money. He publicly admitted he didn’t believe that any of the quatrains could predict the future.

The second item is that how wrong all the predictions for the 1980s, the 1990s and the future were. Apparently, Ted Kennedy would become US president (chortle) and even more about how a “King of Terror” in the Middle East would start World War 3 by nuking New York City; this dictator would be destroyed by a USA-Russia alliance followed by the end of the world after a thousand years of peace. Yeah…

2 Likes

A rare 80s flop from Simpson/Bruckheimer and failed attempt to make Steven Bauer a leading man after Scarface.

2 Likes

Not too different from Johnathan Frakes’ opinions on Beyond Belief.

1 Like

Amazing soundtrack to boot.

3 Likes

Late reply, I know. But that “monkey” was actually a chimpanzee.

2 Likes

Would’ve loved Joel/Trace/Kevin taking on Something Wicked This Way Comes.

2 Likes

The Vampire’s Ghost” it’s so riffable. John Abbott is so not scary as a vampire…

1 Like

This isn’t even out yet, and I feel like it’s begging for a riff!

3 Likes