Movies that would still be funny without the riffing

Are there MST3K experiments that you would just sit and laugh at even if there were no riffing?
I don’t mean movies that are painful to watch, but that would make you laugh.

Two come to my mind.
SST Death Flight is so campy and awful, with hackneyed plot points and bad acting, that I would find it funny even without Joel and the bots.
The other one I can think of is The Incredibly Strange Creatures - not the whole movie, but the musical production numbers. They’re so outlandish and so poorly done, like the moment in “Shook out of Shape” where the dancers don’t know which way to go, that it cracks me up even without any riffing.

Are there any MSTed movies that you just want to laugh at?

5 Likes

Werewolf is pretty funny on its own, the acting, the hair, like Kevin said, it was a gift from the Gods.

Human Duplicators makes me laugh, from Hugh’s anger, to the easy to crack skulls with a few nuts and bolts inside.

9 Likes

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank would be funny with or without riffing.

9 Likes

If by “funny” you mean “excruciating”, yeah, I can see that.

2 Likes

The “Ride-the-unstable-house” segment of Jack Frost is so damn bizarre that the riffs aren’t even needed.

2 Likes

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom- I could easily see myself laughing at the boozy “hero,” walking carpet, parrot-head lady, and Crabby all on my own!

4 Likes

The Magic Sword has quite a bit of goofiness to it, especially the terrible accents.

3 Likes

Zombie Nightmare holds its own without any riffing.

3 Likes

Space Mutiny might do OK. I’ve probably watched it too many times to imagine it without riffing, but it might work.

4 Likes

Invasion USA is hilarious on its own. I actually owned that movie before I saw the MST3K version

1 Like

Just laugh? Or do some home riffing and laugh? Because the latter…

3 Likes

Clearly Reptilicus due to the high comedy of Dirch Passer.

6 Likes

Similarly, Sid Melton in Radar Secret Service.

2 Likes

“Cry Wilderness,” from the goofy Bigfoot suit to the epic song over the closing credits, is hilarious with or without riffs.

1 Like

I’d say this mainly overlaps with “what movies would you watch without riffing” category.

Moon Zero Two and Diabolik are both films that I own and have enjoyed unriffed for their late 60’s goofiness. I suspect Agent Double 007/OK Connery/Operation Kid Brother, would probably be another one, if I’d found it on my own before MST3K. (It’s such an earnestly stupid attempt to make a Bond movie for 1/10 the cost, I can’t help but smile at it)

And as others have said, The Magic Sword isn’t actually that bad a movie. As a goofy sword and sorcery kids movie it does pretty much exactly what it sets out to do. The same goes for Jack the Giant Killer over at Rifftrax, several of the Hercules movies, and just about anything else in the Ator/Deathstalker/Wizards of the Lost Kingdom vein, where you know exactly what you’re getting from the moment you pick up the VHS/DVD case.

4 Likes

The first Wizards of the Lost Kingdom would be a genuinely fun and funny movie even without the riffing

5 Likes

I agree 100%

1 Like

It seems to me that a lot of the Season 11 movies are ones that I could easily have watched and enjoyed without MST3K. The Time Travelers, the Doug McClure flicks, WotLK (just the first one, mind you!) even, Lord help me, Star Crash.

3 Likes

Attack of the the Eye Creatures. Confession, I actually think the Charles Nelson Reilly guy is funny. So is John Ashley in parts and yucky man!

3 Likes