Movies/TV shows which traumatized you as a child

When my brother was a kid, my father was watching The Twilight Zone episode, Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up. At the end (spoilers), it’s revealed that one of the characters has three eyes, one of which was being covered up by a hat. It so stunned my brother that he just stood there, mouth agape, unable to say or do anything. That’s a fun family story.

6 Likes

Two come to mind; one as a child and the second two weeks ago.

As a child it was an SNL sketch. A fake commercial for Monster Repellant Spray. To show what happens if you don’t use it, a monster storms a child’s room and rips off their head. Fairly freaky to see as a nine year old.

The recent one is “Little House on the Prairie.” It was like watching an episode of Law & Order: SVU. In short; a school girl is kidnapped and impregnated by a rapist. In response her father covers up the story and blames her for it happening. Eventually, the real story comes out and the rapist is discovered trying to kill her and shot dead. But it ends with the girl dying from injuries in the second attack. I didn’t know the show was so dark at times.

7 Likes

I can’t speak for myself, as I honestly can’t remember anything “scarring” when younger, but them again. I really didn’t watch much that might scar beyond Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or Doctor Who, which I was good with. Horror movies for the most part didn’t interest me beyond the interesting cases at the video store.

Now then something that potentially could have traumatized my kid is clear in my head. After my daughter was born for the first few years we didn’t really worry about what we were watching, so our normal viewing habits wouldn’t shift until one night watching The Walking Dead. It was the episode “Gone to Far” when a child was attacked and killed by a walker that came out of mud. The screams from the child’s reaction set off my daughter and she was inconsolable for a while after. So far it seems she was young enough to not have long term effects but you never know…

5 Likes

You reminded me of an SNL sketch that traumatized me as a kid. It was two parents playing ‘got your nose’ with their kid when one of them accidentally pulls the kid’s nose off and blood spurts out.

7 Likes

being a kid in British Schools in the late 80s/90’s was a risky business, it’s TV day, what are we gonna see?

Geordie Racer?
Through The Dragon’s Eye?
Or is it “Children our age or younger getting minced in farming equipment”?

This also counts as a TV show that traumatized me!

4 Likes

Nickelodeon had a miniseries show thing called the Third Eye. The opening sequence was creepy enough but the fact that all the protagonists in the stories were kids did nothing to de-creep them. I’m still haunted by the alien/monster thingies that looked like giant bacteria.

8 Likes

Alfred E. Neumann is painful to behold and every single McDonald’s mascot (all of them, without exception but especially Ronald) are from some other realm where trauma must be as nourishing as mother’s milk.

8 Likes

Weirdly enough, those weren’t the ones I was thinking of. However, you’re not the first person who’s mentioned them to me in this context.

2 Likes

The opening scene in the original Nightmare on Elm Street when the chick is spinning all around on the walls and ceiling being torn to shreds. That freaked me the f*ck out!

4 Likes

Hopefully you avoided H.R. Pufnstuf as that was “allegedly” the inspiration for McDonaldsLand.

Not gonna go into the whole legal bit, but if the characters at the restaurants spooked you, that show would have been nightmare fuel.

7 Likes

I did! His name is Gmork.

6 Likes

Seems silly now. But Ernest Scared Stupid when I was 5 messed me up. The worst part was the babysitter is the one who out it on for me, thinking it was going to be a silly kids movie, it was silly, but those trolls were terrifying.

10 Likes

OMG Ernest Scared Stupid is a favorite of mine, and I dislike all the other Ernest movies. But that and Hocus Pocus are nostalgic Halloween mainstays at my house.

But you’re right, those trolls were terrifying to young me. There’s some top-notch costuming in that film.

One I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the first Land Before Time. Bad enough it made me cry, but then they had to throw in that scary T-rex to boot. I’m still bitter towards Don Bluth.

7 Likes

1000% on willy wonka, who puts a chicken being decapitated in a kids movie???

7 Likes

Good Times - Penny gets burned with an iron.

Little House on the Prairie - a bunch of wild dogs had some kids trapped in a barn and was trying to get to them like they were the last meal on Earth. At least, that’s how I remember it.

4 Likes

I’m afraid to admit I don’t recall any traumatizing things I saw as a kid on the TV or in movies. I was introduced to all the classic movie monsters by (thanks Dad) Abbott and Costello before I got to see any of the original films.

In fact, don’t laugh, as a kid the only thing from TV I can recall that made me get up and hide behind the chair was this guy from Scooby Doo!

8 Likes

And, for the highest bodycount of a PI film, The Finishing Line.

3 Likes

Someone who’s making a movie based on a Roald Dahl story.

7 Likes

I still have a distinct memory of watching the Invader ZIM episode called “Meat” when it first aired because it freaked me out so much. To this day, I can’t handle certain types (usually organ-based or general “when insides become outsides”) of body horror.

Another was, actually, when I was a teen. This needs a little backstory, so bear with me.

So back then I would watch this local channel that had this late-night block of, like, classical music and musicals and opera music videos. I would keep the volume very low and just fall asleep listening to it. Well, one night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I heard what sounded like baby noises. I forced myself awake and it was this clip from a ballet adaptation of Cinderella, but all of the performers were wearing these horrifying full-head masks that looked like baby dolls.

Ever since I would just randomly remember this at night and just stay awake thinking about it until I finally decided to take to the internet to look for the video a few months ago (and to make sure I didn’t, like, hallucinate it). And I found it.

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night to that.

(Edit: Embedding videos just is not for me right now.)

7 Likes

Ouch!! Worthy of being considered a hallucination.

2 Likes