Movies you saw in a theater that were later on MST3K

I don’t think there’s a thread about this, though we’ve mentioned it in some of the other threads.

What movies have you seen in a theater that were later riffed by MST3K?
For me, there are two I’m certain of. I saw Angels Revenge in a drive-in, and I believe the title was Seven Angels at the time.
I also saw The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t in a Saturday matinee when it came out.

It seems like I should have also seen Santa Claus Conquers the Martians at a Saturday matinee, but if I did, I have no memory of it. It’s also possible that I saw some of the other drive-in movies and have no memory of them, because my parents used to take us out to drive-ins a lot in the '60s.

Anyone else have movies they’ve seen in a theater that were later on MST3K?

3 Likes

I think this was discussed before in some form, but here are my answers again.

Hangar 18
Phase IV
This Island Earth
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
Gamera vs Gaos
Gamera vs Guiron
Gamera vs Jiger

And movies I know I saw on TV before seeing them on MST3K include:

The Crawling Eye
Robot Monster
The Black Scorpion
Rocketship X-M
The Amazing Colossal Man
War of the Colossal Beast
It Conquered The World
Earth vs The Spider
Teenage Caveman
Hercules
Hercules Unchained
Monster A-Go-Go
Bride of the Monster
The Attack Of The Eye Creatures
Santa Claus Conquers The Martians
The Brain That Wouldn’t Die
Beginning Of The End
The Incredible Melting Man
Laserblast
Revenge Of The Creature
The Mole People
The Deadly Mantis
Prince Of Space (I remember doing a Krankor impression as a child to crack up my younger brother)
Invasion Of The Neptune Men
The Horror Of Party Beach

And I have the feeling that I saw both The Screaming Skull and The Phantom Planet at some past point as well.

1 Like

In a walk-in theater, none. On TV, plenty. At the drive in, maybe The Land that Time Forgot, and maybe the Godzilla’s.

3 Likes

The Land That Time Forgot is the only one I remember. I saw Village of the Giants on TV.

2 Likes

I had seen a bunch on TV* before, but none in the theater. I did see The Sword and the Sorcerer in the theater, but that was a Rifftrax one.

One I did see in the theater that hasn’t been riffed by anyone AFAIK, but should be, is Pinocchio in Outer Space. Man, what a stinkburger to inflict on small children.

*One of the local stations used to show B-movies right at the time we were getting home from school, and my grandparents (for some ungodly reason) always had it on, so I was exposed to a LOT of them. Lots and lots and lots and lots. . .

3 Likes

Starcrash, Land that Time Forgot, Island at the Top of the World in theater or drive-in.
Both Master Ninjas and Riding with Death on first-run TV.

1 Like

I can say with certitude I never saw any in the theater, but here are the ones I’m certain I did see on TV:

Earth vs. the Spider
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Revenge of the Creature
The Deadly Mantis
I Was a Teenage Werewolf
The Screaming Skull
The Land that Time Forgot

I have a terrible memory for movies – both what’s in them and if I’ve seen them at all – so there’s a good chance I saw some or all the riffed B&W Bert I Gordon and Roger Corman catalogs on the local creature feature. Also, I saw a lot of made-for-TV movies back when they were filling up air time, so there’s a good chance I saw some of those intentionally forgettable flicks.

1 Like

None, but I had heard of Mac and Me when I was 7 years old and remember Munchies being on HBO quite a bit.

As far as Rifftrax goes, here’s one non Just the Jokes movie I saw in 3rd grade in theaters.

jenny lewis men GIF

I saw Land That Time Forgot with my cousins in a theater in Florida when I was down there visiting them, in like 1975. I was 9. I remember being so scared at one scene that I had to fake a bathroom break. I can’t remember which scene.

1 Like

I saw Godzilla vs. Megalon in the theater. I was 11. It was so very much goofier than Godzilla, King of the Monsters (still my favorite), which I’d seen several times on TV by then, and I was disappointed. What did I expect? Well, everything, I was 11. The DeLaurentis King Kong remake happened that year too, ugh.

1 Like

Tons of Rifftrax, to be sure.

On TV, tons.

Movies in theater? Not so many since they did so many oldies before my time…lessee:

Hangar 18
Shockingly not Robot Holocaust – not sure how I missed that one
I think I saw Gor but not Outlaw of Gor
I almost saw Ator but the film broke, not Cave Dwellers, tho’.

I got good at spotting the Itailan productions and not going to see them.

At The Earth’s Core. Boy, was that dull.

Maybe The Shape of Things To Come, speaking of dull, but that might just have been on TV, too.

1 Like

In a theater?

Alien from LA
Mac and Me

1 Like