MST Alive 1992

Lesley or Ivan,

Should you see this topic thread, I’m wondering, does Joel know if Best Brains ever recorded a copy of their very first live show (featuring “World Without End”)?

If so, I’m sure it could never be released, so this is more just a question of if there is actually an archived copy someplace.

To the rest of the forum, was anyone there back in 1992 and saw their first live riff of a movie?

Any memories or thoughts you could share?

3 Likes

It is the world without end. Yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started riffing it not knowing what it was. And they’ll continue riffing it forever just because. It is the world without end.

6 Likes

The MST3K Rarities Archive channel on Youtube used to have a fan-recorded video of the second half, which apparently was copyright-struck (presumably because of the film itself?) and now the description contains links to mega.nz and Google Drive. I haven’t tried them. [REDIRECT] MST3K - MST ALIVE! '92 - World Without End (SECOND HALF ONLY) - YouTube

1 Like

Be careful with sites like these. They may contain harmful content lurking in the background. If you choose to use sites like this, have a VPN active and use incognito mode. (For Windows) To open links in incognito mode right click on the link. Pick open in a new incognito window or tab.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what made me wonder if Best Brains had ever videotaped the show themselves, or if that fan recording was the only trace of that event in existence.

2 Likes

Just realized that July 10, 2022 was the 30th anniversary of the gang at Best Brains putting together a live version of the show for the Uptown Theatre in Minneapolis. This was for the movie World Without End (1956), and featured musical breaks in the program. There were two shows - one on July 10 at Midnight and another the next day at 11:30 am for families.

Here’s an article from the Star Tribune promoting the show. Interesting bits are an interview with Joel and the Bots in-character, along with Joel making an off-hand comment that explains Gypsy’s “Richard Basehart” love.

8 Likes

That is way, way cool!

Did you or anyone you know happen to attend that, @justabob?

How about the rest of the forum, anyone go to MST3K Alive back in '92?

6 Likes

I didn’t. I’m like you - I’d be curious to hear if anyone else did and what they thought of it!

4 Likes

Ah, gotcha. All the same, thanks for sharing that with us, that’s a fun read!

3 Likes

How I wish someone had recorded that!

6 Likes

Good question, InterestingWerewolf, and sorry if I sidetracked your post here for a bit! I obviously didn’t research far enough to see that there was already a topic out there on this live event.

1 Like

Half of MST3K Alive was recorded by a fan. The tape is circulating.

1 Like

Oh, I never thought that you were sidetracking my thread at all! I didn’t mean to step on your toes!

I just linked it over to raise awareness - I don’t recall if @Lesley or @ivan ever commented on if there was a search for that recording. It probably couldn’t be released, but it would be nice to know it exists as a historical document for the Brains. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That was a cute article. I have that movie Gypsy downloaded. Richard Basehart has become one of my favorite responses to questions. I do a pretty good imitation of her voice. One of the few voices I can still do with a stuffy nose.

2 Likes