MST3k cast's non riffing roles?

So as shocking as It might be, the cast of MST3k have been in other things… Sure there are the obvious ones, (Especially from the new series)
Patton Oswald is a pretty well known actor
as is Felicia Day,
and Jonah Ray, although more well known as a stand up comedian/ podcaster, did have some acting/voice over roles, including an 18 episode stint in Saul of the Mole Men, The League, and (apparently) Victor Crawley (as in the fourth Hatchet Movie)

Then you get to some of the more, Unexpected roles… Like Joel in Steven Universe… or the Darkstar series…

Which brings the question… What is the most unusual/obscure thing an MST3k cast member has been in…

7 Likes

I always like seeing Baron pop up in stuff that I wouldn’t expect. Like how he voiced Donatello in Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or when he directed a segment of Scare Package and gave himself a cameo on TV.

Also I like how Joel and Bill have screenplay credits you wouldn’t expect, respectively Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves and Meet Dave.

5 Likes

Not really obscure but kind of unusual: Frank appearing in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

5 Likes

I’ve mentioned Kelsey Ann Brady’s 18m view TikTok video before, but she’s done a lot of puppetry stuff including Bird Call Radio.

2 Likes

Years ago, Baron was on a USA show about a mediation lawyer (I thinknit was called ‘Fairly Legal’ but don’t quote me). He was the main character’s snarky assistant. My wife loved that show.

I remember Hampton’s stand-up routine from Conan (particularly the online dating bit.)

Kevin Murphy was in a Cyanide and Happiness music video.

2 Likes

Trace shows up very briefly in a episode of “The West Wing”, in the Oval Office with Martin Sheen! The episode was directed by Bill Johnson, who had worked on MST3K: The Movie.

6 Likes

I liked seeing Joel and hearing Trace in the yahoo series Outer Space. If ya haven’t seen it find it totally worth the watch!

2 Likes

Emily Marsh was in a movie called Science Team. I haven’t seen it, but it looks like it’s $2 to rent on Amazon.

7 Likes

From the IMDB page, it looks ideal for Rifftrax!

3 Likes

IIRC, Frank also did a couple voices in Invader Zim!

4 Likes

I remembered watching the short, and I never knew that Kevin was in a C&H short!

2 Likes

Bill Corbett did dramatic stage work before MST3K… I can’t find any now but if you follow him on Twitter, he occasionally posts a photo from his live theater days.

(Note: Bill posts mostly about politics, consider that before following.)

5 Likes

He was also a writer for the show.

4 Likes

Oh probably Cartoon Dump, where Frank Conniff wore an Owl onesie…

2 Likes

He was also in a Sherlock Holmes CD-ROM game, playing numerous characters in cutscenes. He’s out clips from that on Twitter from time to time, too.

6 Likes

Joel was in a couple episodes of Freaks And Geeks.

Josh was a writer and producer on that show as well.

5 Likes

Trace was as well.

5 Likes

I didn’t remember that. Might be time for another rewatch.

4 Likes

He’s the Science teacher

3 Likes

Have we mentioned how a young Joel Hodgson was on Out Of Control? Apropos of nothing, here’s a little something I whipped up years ago when the “Straight Outta Compton” memes were a thing.

4 Likes