MST3K Chess Board Idea

I don’t play chess myself, but one reoccurring thought I’ve had for a while was “what would a MST3K themed chess set would look like?”

Not sure if anyone’s ever attempted to make one before or thought about it, but what I imagine is that you’d have the Mads vs. the S.O.L. crew as the chess pieces, with the edge of the board looking like the moon. So far, here’s who I got for the pieces:

S.O.L.

• King: Jonah
  • Queen: Emily
  • Bishops: Tom Servo
  • Knights: Crow
  • Rooks: G.P.C. 1 & 2
  • Pawns: Cambot

Mads:

• King: Kinga Forester
  • Queen: Max
  • Bishops: Pearl Forester and Brain Guy
  • Knights: Synthia and Mega Synthia
  • Rooks: Growler and M. Waverley
  • Pawns: Boneheads

Thoughts? I’m curious to hear what everyone’s thinks, especially those who do play chess, or if someone has already attempted/made such a chess board.

18 Likes

I’d rather have the Rat Pack chess set.

13 Likes

I like it!

5 Likes

Another good idea would be a chess set based on the characters from MSTied movies… heroes vs. villains. You would pick the best male “boss” and best female “boss” to be the evil king and queen, and the best hero and heroine to be the good king and queen. The bishops could be the best major supporting sidekicks of a non-violent nature, and the knights the best of a violent nature. The rooks could be good and evil monsters or kaiju, and the pawns would be… well, good and evil pawns. Mooks and grunts and comic relief.

All of these pieces could be from completely different movies, of course.

7 Likes

I always love Mike’s Frank Sinatra impression.

“Here’s two bucks, dollface, cuz that’s JUST whatcha worth!”

7 Likes

If we’re going with riffed film characters, would the knights be Delta Knights?

5 Likes

I like the idea, but would switch things up a bit to include more of the previous cast members, and Make Joel the SOL King rather than Jonah.

S.O.L.

• King: Joel
  • Queen: Emily
  • Bishops: Jonah & Mike
  • Knights: Crow & Tom Servo
  • Rooks: G.P.C. 1 & 2
  • Pawns: Cambot

Mads:

• King: Kinga Forester
  • Queen: Max
  • Bishops: Pearl Forester & Dr. F
  • Knights: Synthia and Mega Synthia
  • Rooks: TVs Frank and Brain Guy
  • Pawns: Boneheads

I would have like to have gotten Bobo into the Mads lineup as well, but did not want to bump Brain Guy. I also thought Bobo would fit more as a Knight, and Brain Guy as a Rook, but really like Synthia and Mega Synthia as Knights. I wasn’t really feeling Growler and M. Waverly as being on the Mads side, as they both started on the SOL, so had no problem replacing them.

6 Likes

This is Professor Bobo erasure!!!

JK I think it’s great!

3 Likes

Come on guys, you’re forgetting the true HAPPY King for a chess board:

And on the other side:

8 Likes

Gotta say, I think I like your lineup more than mine, makes sense and really does incorporate just about everyone in MST3K’s history.

2 Likes

Rooks for the Mads should be Gerry and Sylvia.

2 Likes

There’s an MST3K-themed chess set on Thingiverse, for 3D printer owners… #Chess - MST3K FRENEMIES by PixelSmasher - Thingiverse