MST3K Christmas/holiday traditions?

Totally forgot about this one, until Facebook reminded me. From back in the day when we used to have “decorate your office door” contests at work. I won a $10 Starbucks gift card for this one, though I don’t think anybody “got” it.

I did another one vaguely based on The Crawling Eye and The Green Slime a couple of years earlier using garland for tentacles and one of those oversized Christmas baubles as the eye, with the theater seats down at the bottom. I’ll have to see if I can find a picture anywhere.

8 Likes

You’ve also won my undying admiration. I’m currently scouting a good image of Crow’s head to put on one of those folding paper turkeys for Thanksgiving.

1 Like

:smiley:

That’s freaking awesome.

After years of re-watching Santa Conquers the Martians and Mexican Santa in all of their different permutations throughout the years, I started taking my Christmas MST3K viewing in a different direction.
I’ve noticed virtually every episode has a Christmas based riff in it. So in that respect, any episode will do.
I decided to go very dark with my initial picks. Kitten With A Whip one year, and High School Big Shot the next. And, like magic, watching these dreary films on Christmas, it levels out the holiday depression, much like a viewing of It’s A Wonderful Life or Scrooge does. I recommend it, if you want to shake things up.
I’m watching Red Zone Cuba this year, and already debating Sidehackers for next year.

1 Like

I usually start Christmas morning off with the RiffTrax Yule Log, it just feels like home to have Kevin tending the fire while I have a cup of coffee (extra Irish), and wait for the kids to arrive. After that I roll Christmas with Rifftrax, which is often accompanied by our own gift exchange. Next up is the RiffTrax version of the Star War Christmas Special. If I have time before we head to my Sister’s house for our Noon time get together I will throw on Santa Claus and the Ice Cream Bunny or Santa’s Village of Madness, whichever everyone is in the mood for. There is occasionally time for a Rifftrax Christmas short or 2.

When we are back home for the evening, I start up the MST3K episodes, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, followed by Santa Claus, and usually wrapping it up with Jack Frost. I have tried slotting The Christmas That Almost Wasn’t in the last couple of years, swapping it out for Jack Frost initially, but also trying it as the first episode of the evening. That episode just hasn’t been doing it for us though, so maybe The Christmas Dragon will work out better.

Other than that, I have the MST3K gold and red moon ornaments for the tree, and that is about it. I like the Tom Servo tree topper from upthread, but my wife has a variety of angel tree toppers that we choose from each year, and I doubt I could persuade her to swap in Tom Servo. Maybe if I glue some wings on him…

1 Like

He’s the reason for the season! I guess we were ahead of the curve on this final episode.

4 Likes