MST3K in Other Media

Posted this in another thread, was recommended to share here as well. Hope you dig!

4 Likes

Freaks and Geeks, on which J. Elvis Weinstein was a producer, had Joel and Trace in recurring roles. This included Joel singing the praises of a jumpsuit.

14 Likes

Weezer’s Green Album includes a picture of the band in concert, in attendance (in shadowrama) is Mike, Servo and Crow.

Weezer (The Green Album) - Weezerpedia

8 Likes

Pancho’s Happy Bottom Riding Club.

Now that’s an obscure reference. Nice.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the band Man or Astroman are huge fans of MST3K. They even released a cover of the theme on their official album “Destroy All Astromen!”

9 Likes

The now-defunct punk band The Riverdales did a bunch of MST3k-inspired titles for their final 2 albums…

RiverdalesInvasion

Invasion USA released in 2009.

Tracklist:
Agent For H.A.R.M. - 1:35
Gemini Man - 2:19
Heart Out of Season - 1:56
Red Zone Cuba - 1:50
Squirm - 1:27
Prince Of Space - 2:08
Rocketship X-M - 2:55
King Dinosaur - 2:22
Castle Of Fu Manchu - 1:56
Time Of The Apes - 2:19
Atomic Brain - 1:26
Crawling Eye - 2:05
Teenage Strangler - 1:54
Werewolf One - 2:02

Tarantulariverdales

Tarantula released in 2010.

Tracklist:
Bad Seed Baby - 1:46
The Beginning of the End - 1:40
Infection - 1:39
Diabolik - 1:31
Volcano - 1:58
The Girl in Lover’s Lane - 1:40
Girls Town - 2:06
Soultaker - 2:22
12 to the Moon - 1:46
Crash of the Moons - 3:15
Stranded in Space - 2:18
I Don’t Wanna Live Forever - 1:43
Master Ninja - 2:35
Time Chaser - 3:21

9 Likes

Some early DVDs with commentary tracks would incorporate Shadowrama silhouettes. Two I know of specifically are Muppets from Space and Ghostbusters. I think both of these came out in 1999, just when the Sci-Fi era was coming to an end, so likely this was their way of waving their freak flags high!
Muppets from Space

12 Likes

The “grasshopper walls into a bar” joke was expertly done. And that cutscene was heinous. Good on them for laughing about it.

6 Likes

Just noticed this reference in an article

4 Likes

Funny. I actually made Joel and Dr. F characters, though Joel was a villain (mastermind with robots) and Dr. F. was a hero. I forget what build I had for him.

joel

drf

5 Likes

Amazing (Man, masterminds were so good in that game. I managed to solo Lord Recluse with a zombie mastermind)!

I don’t have a picture to share, but I made a T.V.’s Frank in City of Villains as a brawler with the express purpose of standing next to Dr. Forester and annoying passerbys.

After I got the toga costume piece I even wandered around for a while as “Televisionus Frankus,” with that character.

5 Likes

The most prevalent in my memory is The Lion King 1 1/2 (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead to the Lion King’s Hamlet) wherein Timon and Pumba watch reels of Timon’s life before/during/after the events of The Lion King in shadowrama. The screenwriter confirmed that it’s an MST3K reference!

14 Likes

In the classic Chinese Restaurant episode of Seinfeld, Jerry doesn’t want to see Plan 9 from Outer Space alone. “I can’t see a bad movie by myself. What, am I supposed to make sarcastic remarks to strangers?” The crew confirmed this was a deliberate MST3k reference, after Joel and Jerry had become friends on the stand-up circuit in the '80s.

16 Likes

This isn’t a reference to MST3K itself, but last night while channel flipping I caught the last five minutes of Desperately Seeking Susan. Aidan Quinn is a movie projectionist, and the film he’s showing is The Time Travelers. :eyes:

5 Likes

Another one that’s technically not a reference, especially since it comes from something that predates the show, but any fan of the show will get a huge kick out of Stephen King’s IT, where the subplot with the heroes as kids in the '50s has a bunch of stuff about them being fans of goofy horror and sci-fi movies, and manages to name-drop no less than four films which would later appear on the show. The biggest reference goes to I was a Teenage Werewolf, where there’s actually a whole chapter of the kids talking about the film (it was no surprise to learn the film was one of King’s own favorites as a kid), and then there’s a bit where Pennywise turns into the monsters from The Crawling Eye, and finally a spooky insect-like noise is compared to the ones from The Black Scorpion and Beginning of the End.

6 Likes

From Reddit:

16 Likes

I think the guy who wrote “Troops” went on do comics including a series called Tag and Bink that is basically two characters more in Star Wars who manage to never be part of the big action.

In one section there’s a prequel joke scene set in the diner and Crow and Servo make a cameo.

6 Likes

Here’s another fun one. The Chapman brothers loved having 90’s references in their seminal flash cartoon Homestar Runner.

Here’s Homestar himself as Mr. B Natural for their 2016 Halloween cartoon.

And here’s Marzipan as Servo from the ‘toon “I killed Pompom.”

Here’s the Poopsmith as Voldar (From Santa Claus Conquers the Martians) in the ‘toon “Which Ween Costumes?”

And lastly, here’s Servo himself from the ‘toon “A Jorb Well Done.”

22 Likes

I remember an episode of Friday Night Lights where Jean suggests to Landry that they watch a bunch of Mystery Science Theater 3000 shorts that she found on YouTube.

6 Likes

Many years ago Rifftrax and Manos were name-dropped in Tim Seeley’s comic series “Revival” (a great book BTW). In a later panel the director of the movie within the comic mentions it being mocked by robots - so Tim got his riff projects mixed up (because as we know, Rifftrax didn’t have bots, that was MST)

Anyhoo, the movie being talked about was Octopocalypse (not a real film) and the actor shown, bears a resemblence to Joe Don Baker.

image in full… http://www.horrornewsnetwork.net/images/stories/FLzBRCD-revival204.jpg

9 Likes