MST3K in Other Media

I’m not sure what it was called, but it was an old Japanese sci-if/horror. The monster was a human sized walking bush. Lmao. The clip was around 20 seconds or so. First episode of SGCC if anyone is interested. Sounds riffable, right? :joy:

8 Likes

Was listening to a local Buffalo, NY radio station doing an updated version of “War of the Worlds” from around 1997.

Suddenly, they mentioned an interview with “Dr. Clayton Forrester from the University at Buffalo” and I jumped out of my seat!

But before I could yell “AAHHH IT’S AN MST3K REFERENCE”, I totally forgot that Dr. Clayton Forrester is also the name of the protagonist in War of the Worlds itself.

10 Likes

You discovered the source material, dog!

6 Likes

I’ve heard that! It’s really good!

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining. I’ll at least have to find the Space Ghosts episode. And nice pull.

5 Likes

This is where I like to mention that Joel actually created an intro for Space Ghost that never got used. (2) Space Ghost long lost opening intro - YouTube

13 Likes

Wait… For reals? Really by Joel?

… Really?

4 Likes

Yup. That’s how it was set up on the DVD set where I first saw it. He called it the “Roller-Ghoster,” I think, which is about the most Joel thing ever.

11 Likes

In the old Star Wars Rebel Assault II pc game, there was an easter egg you could turn on to have the cutscenes with MST-style silhouettes and riffing.

8 Likes

I dunno if this counts as a reference, but Earth vs. the Spider was mentioned in Metal Gear Solid 3.

Little did Para-Medic knew, that 27 years after the events of the game, the movie would be riffed by Joel, and the bots.

5 Likes

It looks like we’ve got Crow among the wreckage on the first page of an issue of Transformers: Generation Two.

11 Likes

And that’s Mike or Joel rotting next to him depending on the year.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of the caption on the TFWiki: “To be dead. To be nothing. To watch Invasion of the Neptune Men no more.”

(Unfortunately, it seems to have been replaced with something less amusing.)

6 Likes

In an episode of Phineas and Ferb, this familiarly-shaped object appears in space and promptly gets blown up. I don’t know if it’s a purposeful reference, but I like to think it is.

6 Likes

Been playing Spaceventure, the long, long awaited kickstarted game from the creators of Space Quest. It’s full of neat Sci-Fi easter eggs like this one…

14 Likes

the bit of dalek is also nice.

5 Likes

Men in Black had one as well from Sony.

4 Likes

Interesting: all three were Sony/Columbia joints. That’s a real shame that no one at Columbia thought “hey, we got a lot of cheesy old movies that could get some new life and exposure, now that Warner and Universal is done with the show, why don’t we contract Best Brains for this?”

The show ended up riffing 5 Columbia films: Space Travelers (Marooned), Teen-Age Crime Wave, Village of the Giants, 12 to the Moon, and Invasion U.S.A. How many more we could have had…

5 Likes

Even some non JTJ movies on Rifftrax like Silent Rage, Stone Cold and Yor Hardcheese. MGM currently owns Stone through the production company, though.

One Columbia movie that deserves riffing is it’s puzzling attempt at making teenage Anthony Michael Hall an action movie badass. :laughing:

3 Likes

I think that’s much more likely a 2001: A Space Odyssey reference.

4 Likes