MST3K Riffs you just had to Google

To put it as simply as possible, they’re saying two subsects of Catholicism were having a fight.

3 Likes

Ooooh okay that actually helps. I didn’t realize liberation theology was an actual group like Opus Dei. I thought it was just a school of thought.

2 Likes

It is, but they’re using a little creative license. I think they should have said ‘liberation theologists’ or something. But in the context of the riff, it’s about doctrinal opposition.

3 Likes

I should note that, for me, things I have to Google is kind of a misnomer now.

Nowadays I just go to the specific episode here and that usually solves the problem.

6 Likes

One I had to look up from Gamera Vs. Barugon

“I’ve gotta get this t-shirt back to Henry Chinaski!”

Henry Chinaski apparently being a literary alter-ego of Charles Bukowski, a writer I have never got around to reading. Still not sure what’s special about his t-shirt.

3 Likes

I don’t remember the riff. Was the T-shirt filthy? Bukowski was pretty well-known for being as anti-hygiene as you can get.

2 Likes

That’s probably it. It was said in reference to one of the three nefarious characters who go to recover that hidden opal in the cave.

2 Likes

I never would have guessed that a Five Pound Party referred to the size of a box of chocolates passed around at an engagement party.

Thank you so much for the link!

5 Likes

This is a good place to plug Annotated MST as a great reference.

6 Likes

Already this season I’ve resorted to Google for the “Master P, noooo!” and “Kidz Bop version of Eastern Promises” riffs.

6 Likes

I hope you didn’t actually listen to any Kidz Bop when you Googled it. More to the point, I hope your ears aren’t bleeding.

2 Likes

I knew the Kidz Bop part, so I avoided any damage from that aspect. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My mom got me a Kidz Bop cassette tape in the late 80s and oh my god…

1 Like

Back then they were called The Chipmunks.

2 Likes

Oh no, they were worse. So, so much worse.

2 Likes

I had to google “One of us, gooble gobble”, which came from an old movie i’d never seen

6 Likes

Holy COW. That just knocked a memory loose. Anyone remember The Mini Pops? I think this was specifically a Canadian thing made by K-Tel. I have no idea what their reach was outside of the great white north. Haven’t thought about it in years.

Edit: GASP! This is it! I had it on cassette tape!

2 Likes

Tod Browning’s Freaks. I highly recommend watching it. It’s excellent.

3 Likes

OK, here’s one I have tried to Google, but there’s not much to latch on to—and it’s not just an MST3K thing. I’ve wondered this for years because it’s used other places, too, like the hotel lobby scene in Slapshot. In MST3K it happens in more than one experiment but mostly in Teenage Cave Man.

A group of people are walking/running in a single-file line. They sing a little song:

Doo do-doo do-doo doo
Doo do-doo do-doo doo
Doo do-doo do-doo doo
Doot doot doot.

What is that song?

2 Likes

It’s called “The Bunny Hop”.

Hershey’s used the song too.

5 Likes