MST3K Season 13

It has begun!
https://twitter.com/natebegle/status/1447714204425850881?s=21

(Cool``, Embeds work)

38 Likes

I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago. It occurred to me that MST3K happened today, for real, and I helped make it happen.

Just so awesome! :slight_smile:

16 Likes

hype meter rises

3 Likes

I’m fascinated by the premise of the season, and how everything’s gonna be balanced, like, movies had to be allotted between three different hosts. They went from one to three. I really hope that starting production now means that the three stations can mingle even outside of the convergence episode. Something closer to the Pearl posse than the celebrities in season 11 (I guess Erhardt in 12 falls into the latter😅.

And I’m still urging recorded tour shows to be put on the Gizmoplex. Like we had with Hamilton, Shrek the Musical, the SpongeBob musical and Come from Away. I’m not asking for a full concert movie-esque format. Stock it with Emily-featuring stuff to give a bigger footprint. I’m just really excited to see Emily not be videocalling her bots

5 Likes

I always pictured there would be more people on set. I guess it’s all done with computers now. :thinking::rofl:

6 Likes

Can’t wait for that first Jonah & Emily photo.

9 Likes

Can’t wait for the new season

7 Likes

Awesome, it’s starting to feel real now! Someone doppel me onto that set…

6 Likes

It looks like the new location has a lot more space than the set that was used in Eden Prairie. The BBI set always looked pretty cramped so that this picture almost seems like it would be TOO big. :slight_smile: But come on - can we spring for better chairs than the steel church folding ones? Or maybe those rounded metal backs have the look that works the best so there’s reasons? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Emily is a CGI hologram. FACT.

5 Likes

I hope they’re sitting down or they’re going to need a wide angle lens to get them both in frame :wink:

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s being filmed at Rittenhouse Filmworks in Philadelphia. The picture of the 30’ x 30’ CYC Wall (cyclorama wall) space on their website matches almost exactly the picture above; the brick wall, ceiling grid, and utility box on the wall are the clues.

I really hope those chairs were just stand-ins used to set up blocking and marks, and that the performers have comfortable, appropriate seating - and stands for the puppets to rest on.

15 Likes

I just love the idea of it being filmed at Rittenhouse because the name Rittenhouse reminds me of Animal Crackers and Margaret Dumont’s character.

11 Likes

It also reminds me of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman because a couple of the characters were named Rittenhouse, but I’m sure fewer people remember that.

5 Likes

I was too young for the original airing, but I got some copies of it a while back and got a fair way through it, but I kind of got burnt out what with so many episodes.

That said, Fernwood/America 2 Nite is a work of genius and I’m sad it’s almost totally forgotten. If any show would work well remade for today with today’s comic sensibilities, it would be that show.

5 Likes

Sometimes I miss the lack of sophistication of the sets and sketches of the original run, but I’m so glad it has a heart beat and I trust Joel. Now I enjoy Jonah and think I will appreciate Emily. I really hope I will love the three headed host / separate Crow+Servo teams we have coming up and one day hope to understand the Gizmoplex.

5 Likes

I know that there are different versions of Crow and Servo, but honestly, the funny thing is…

speaks in a demonic voice THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

6 Likes

I just hope the trifecta episode puts them all in the theater at the same time, rather than in shifts. But they’ll certainly have to get creative to juggle as many performers as they’ll have on deck and let everyone actively participate.

3 Likes

Wait, they’re not filming on the moon this season?

9 Likes

I’m really hoping that some of the set will still be practical and not everything will be green screen. Hopefully that’s just going to be for the theatre riffing as mentioned in the update.

For COVID safety and budget reasons I’m not expecting EVERYTHING to be on physical location, but as much as possible would be really awesome.

It does make the difference between having the bots and host standing behind the long, SOL desk as opposed to them composited behind a green screened desk.

When Moon 13 was in season 12, it had a sense of depth and physical space that was sometimes missing in other episodes.

I have faith it will all come together. :slight_smile:

7 Likes