MST3K: The Final Episode

One of the beauties of MST3K is that, like Doctor Who, the show never has to end and can be endlessly regenerated, with new hosts and puppet voices and films. But let’s pretend for some reason that a final episode is going be made (perhaps Fredric Brown’s Waveries are coming). What movie would you suggest as the final one ever riffed by the crew of the SOL?

My choice isn’t perhaps the best material riff-wise, but thematically I think it would tie a nice bow on things. It’s Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

How about you?

11 Likes

As long as they do it eventually…

4 Likes

When they hand me the keys to the kingdom, the final episode will be Birth of a Nation.

14 Likes

Oh my god, I would buy a whole new season on Kickstarter to see that.

10 Likes

The Green Slime would be a neat bookend.

18 Likes

Stipulated: I consider the KTMA episodes to be dress rehearsals. Therefore, I conclude that that the final episode should be The Crawling Eye. With every host.

15 Likes

I would pay you to make a MST3K spinoff for the sole purpose of riffing that movie. Good God.

7 Likes

Unedited! All 3 hours! Let’s really put the audience through hell for the last episode!

4 Likes

I think we should bootleg the movie from whoever’s got rights and dare them to sue us.

Though if I ever got a pick, I’d probably go with a childhood fave like The Apple Dumpling Gang or Herbie Rides Again. Just to see how they dealt with that whole ha ha ha ha domestic violence is funny, Kids! business.

8 Likes

Birth of a Nation is public domain. But believe me, some people will still sue me once I’m finished with it.

17 Likes

I’m not sure there’s a cut of it that isn’t really hell.

10 Likes

If there was ever a film that actually deserved it…

7 Likes

if this has to happen. i nominate Spookies (1986 )or Hawkeye (1988)

great riff for spookies

Crow- did they just switch movies on us
Tom - yes, yes they did

1 Like

The final movie to be riffed by MST3k should be…

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.

stress i need a drink GIF

16 Likes

That’s always been my pick, to end at the beginning. And Joel would have to host it.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter to me, because it will be bittersweet no matter what.

But honestly, this thread is very much On Topic!! if you ask me. :wink:

2 Likes

I would love to have Joel host the final episode, and yet I also want the show to continue far after all us boomers are gone and forgotten.

If I have to pick, I’ll pick the second option.

The final movie hasn’t been made yet, but it’s a spunky DIY movie like Time Chasers or the upcoming Demon Squad

6 Likes

2 Likes

I mean, if it’s the final episode that might mean it’s the film that finally succeeds in driving the crew mad. So maybe something like Andy Worhol’s Sleep or another of those ludicrously long, weird experimental films where nothing happens. I’m sure the writers’ room would love having all that space to fill.

How about let’s not do that?

7 Likes

In that case I would nominate Fassbinder’s Berlin Alexanderplatz. It has a runtime of 15 hours, and has been mentioned on the show before. I believe you could actually read the original novel in less time than it takes to watch the film.

5 Likes