MST3K The Movie

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if MST3K: The Movie will ever be shown at the Gizmoplex? I hope there isn’t an issue with Universal owning it, if they still do own it. Even though the format was different than the show, the host segments and riffs are all still classic MST.

Crow trying to dig out of the Satellite of Love.
“Now wait a booboo!”
“I don’t like you.” Droopy voice
“I see two Woodies in this scene.”
“I’ve never met a Luna I didn’t like.”
:musical_note:“Normal vieeeew! Normal vieeeeeeeew! Normal vieeeeeeeeeew! Normal vieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!” :notes:
“Their landing in Tommy Chong’s backyard.” *cough cough"
The Manipulator Arms in the hubble sketch saying Manos on the label and the hint of Torgo’s theme playing.

16 Likes

I highly doubt it. Universal owns the rights to the movie, so I’m afraid it’s a no-go.

9 Likes

I figured that would be the case. I noticed some episodes are missing from the Gizmoplex, so I’m guessing those maybe in that situation. Especially the first few episodes of season 8. IE: Return of the Creature, Leech Woman, and the Deadly Mantis are all Universal.

4 Likes

Also, the Godzilla movies aren’t here because of both rights issues and TOHO being overprotective af.

4 Likes

I think I’ve watched the movie more than any other “episode.”

12 Likes

They still do as far as I know. Vudu lists Universal as the studio for the digital version of the movie.

1 Like

And even if Universal released the MST movie, they still own This Island Earth. In fact, I suppose they could charge twice for the streaming rights. So if we ever see the season 8 episodes show up but still no movie, we can make a guess that it costs twice as much. But as it stands it’s just a blanket “no” from Universal (or a blanket “way too expensive regardless of how many times we charge per film”).

3 Likes

What I want to know is whether or not there’s enough footage to make a Director’s Cut.

4 Likes

Worse comes to worst, we’ve seen The Movie so many times that we could* act out the whole thing among ourselves if needs be, something of a Be Kind Rewind sorta deal.

*I mean, we shouldn’t, but still

10 Likes

More like “worse comes to best” if you ask me.

6 Likes

This is much, much better.

I like your strategizin’, man!

2 Likes

Gosh, doesn’t just bug you sometimes that we simply can’t have all episodes in one spot?

And it seems mostly because a major studio or an individual have folded their arms and proclaimed “Because I said so”.

I know, not the end of the world and can’t complain with what I do have access to here. But, still, it gets to me once in a while.

7 Likes

It is a mite grumblesome. I’d like for every MSTie to be able to see those episodes under the best conditions, the way they were meant to be seen. ESPECIALLY Godzilla Vs. Megalon and Attack of the the Eye Creatures.

Still, we ARE adept at circulating the tapes. We do have that going for us.

7 Likes

If I had Twitter-buyin’ money, you know I’d buy up all the MST-ied movies so that they can stream on the Gizmoplex.

I mean… after bankrolling the needed infrastructure for sustainable global food and energy production and distribution, of course. Oh and I’d probably get a pretty sick skateboard to impress the skater chicks. Duh. But then the movie rights.

16 Likes

And you know I’m going to stump for Fire Maidens of Outer Space whenever possible. :smiley:

6 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Some people have gone on and on about how punishing the Fire Maidens of Outer Space experience can be.

The thing is? Honestly, it’s a pretty fun episode even with the feature presentation being a glacial bore of a movie.

To bring it all right back around to this topic, this reminds me of the copy from the back of the OG DVD printing of MST3K: The Movie that calls This Island Earth the worst movie ever made… to which I say, “HAHAHAHAHA no.”

5 Likes

I’m glad they picked it. I tend to favor the more watchable choices.

6 Likes

There was a sense to it. Ignoring Gramercy Pictures’s terrible (read: nonexistent) promotion for the movie and making all else equal, it would have been a tough sell to non-fans to have a super-brutal ultra-punishing film as the centerpiece of the MST3K movie, something in the same vein as Manos and Red Zone Cuba and what-have-ya.

3 Likes

Well, the footage exists, at least in a rough cut form - but to get all the footage from the Universal vaults, clean it up, re-cut it into film…that seems like money Universal will never want to spend, and time and energy Jim Malon (or any of the team) wants to spend on a project that was a disappointment to them.

The biggest loss is the meteor shower scene, which is funny and has some of the best puppetry ever done with Tom and Crow. The alternate ending, which I like mostly for the Servo/Dr. F banter, is better than the “shower” ending, but I don’t think either is really a slam dunk.

3 Likes

Definitely that. I loved watching that on VHS every day one summer.

Also, welcome to the forums!

3 Likes