MST3K: The Musical - What’s your pitch?

This may well be the stupidest hypothetical ever put forward on this forum…

What comes to mind when you see the words “Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Musical”? Putting aside the logistics of riffing a movie in song, what story could you envision being told in a live stage musical under the MST3K banner? What SOL/Gizmonics shenanigans could you see being explored?

10 Likes

This is not stupid and it should not be hypothetical! Someone, get us a producer!

8 Likes

mst3k521pitchchaplin

This is my Pitch!

9 Likes

Honestly, I would loooooooove a motion picture version of the Time Bubble Tour live show. It’s got songs, dances (well, one, but Mega Synthia does it so well!), even a singing riff. It was fantastic, but flesh it out with sets and more props? :star_struck:

7 Likes

Honestly, I would loooooooove a motion picture version of the Time Bubble Tour live show. It’s got songs, dances (well, one, but Mega Synthia does it so well!) even a singing riff. It was fantastic, but flesh it out with sets and more props? :star_struck:

As an international MSTie I’d love to see this too.

6 Likes

According to Kevin and Trace, MST3K: The Movie, was originally pitched as a musical, but Universal rejected it because it would’ve cost to much to make (even though they had asked them to pitch a movie with a normal “movie” budget).

5 Likes

The article that I read talking about that was actually what inspired this thread!

5 Likes

I would love this idea too! Those were some great, memorable songs!

4 Likes

And they definitely have experience putting on a musical!:

8 Likes

“Hired: The Musical” is what I immediately thought about, too. Maybe a musical from several shorts like “Pipeline to the Clouds” and “Assignment: Venezuela”. Or a bunch of circus shorts like “Here Comes the Circus” which has the two clowns spanking each other.

5 Likes

Answering seriously, if they did an MST3K musical I would love to see it combine both a couple of classic favorites – like maybe Toobular Boobular Joy and A Patrick Swayze Christmas – with new songs and material. And I would pay a lot of money to see this happen.

7 Likes

Mitchell in the style of Cop Rock with a musical number about baby oil.

4 Likes

Okay, I shouldn’t have called this a stupid hypothetical and had more confidence in the idea. The only stupid part of the hypothetical is that it’s a hypothetical and not a real thing.

The idea that I keep thinking about is a moment where the test subject (either one we already know or a new one for the purposes of the musical) arrives on the SOL for the first time, and the mads explain to them what their time on the SOL will involve.

The test subject starts truly freaking out about what is happening and how they’re going to cope/survive, which prompts the bots to launch into a jazzy little number called “(You Should Really) Just Relax”. The song would feature a back-and-forth between the test subject and the bots, where they give questionable solutions to the problems the test subject poses, with a recurring hook/chorus that assures them that this isn’t the bots’ first rodeo and they should really just relax.

7 Likes

Right now I’m murky on the details, but definitely Joel tries to spirit Mike and the robots back to Earth after both humans join forces to repair the robots and the ship. None of this “Staying out here will make men of us,” nonsense.

I demand appearances by Nuveena and Mr. B Natural, too. Or maybe a couple of matronly Amazons. I don’t give a fig about romance, though. We’ve got enough musicals about that already.

It might just be the weed talking, but I can’t stop thinking how cool a chorus line of Demon Dog Dancers would look.

In Act III, there’s probably a court battle over who gets to keep the robots once everyone’s back on Earth. But they work it out and everyone lives happily ever after serving fish in Osseo.

5 Likes

This is a fantastic opening idea and I hope the MST3K writers steal it wholesale :smiley:

4 Likes

Are we talking episode or live tour?

Episode - I’m thinking something along the lines of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Once More With Feeling? Not sure what movie they could actually get the rights to that would be a good fit but Mega-Synthia rigs the theater seats and the bridge to shock them any time they riff/interact without signing. Maybe a reriff? Hobgoblins was fun, so was the grocery store short? (And, it’d be great to get Emily signing “Hob-Goblins!” In an episode?)

Live tour? Same, but with more 4th wall breaking, begging the audience to help them complete a task that will disconnect the SoL shockers from Mega-Synthia’s control.

Either has to include an “Anything you can do I can do better” between Emily and Jonah, then, in walks Joel, who clears his throat and sings how he can riff better than either of them…

What do you think, y’all?

5 Likes

I would LOVE a live musical show. There’s gotta be a cheap musical they could riff, and then have Emily and the Bots sing a medley of classic MST3k songs during the host segments!

4 Likes

If they want it they can have it, free of charge, no strings attached.

5 Likes

Related:

2 Likes

I feel like the movie being riffed should also be a musical. Like The Apple, maybe?

Or it could go back to ye olden times and do a '50s dog like Rock You Sinners (with Jackie Collins before she switched to writing) or Bop Girl Goes Calypso (from the director of Untamed Youth).

2 Likes