Museums

A door to long ago. Fossils, Artifacts, Inventions. Living History carefully stored. Field Trips, The Smithsonian, Moon Rocks. Our heritage laid out for posterity. You remember your first time? Where? Is one above the rest? A memory you won’t forget. That excitement of discovery. What stays with you?

5 Likes

I am fortunate enough to live quite close to the Smithsonian collection of museums, but I think my favorite of those will always be the Air and Space Museum. I was more of an English nerd than a science nerd as a kid, but I still loved space stuff.

I should go back now that the remodel of the main building is over; see what’s new.

8 Likes

We’ve got a nice air and space museum here, too.

We’ve also got this gem !

I spent a lot of time at each in my younger days, it’s been a while, and the Desert Museum has gotten even bigger and nicer.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if my first was the Science Museum of MN, or the Chicago museum with the U-Boat?

The U-Boat is the most memorable of my childhood I think?

I was lucky enough to visit the Egyptian exhibit in Turin when my dad was working in Italy… that was amazing. On one trip got to visit a museum in Lyon France, Gallo-Roman Museum of Lyon Fourvière. The amphitheater was amazing.

The Indy Car Museum at the Brickyard is impressive, as is the Motorsports HoF Museum at Daytona. When touring the Indy Car museum, saw a photo of a man standing with a camera right at the guardrail… there’s a chance that’s actually my dad… there’s a greater than zero chance that I’m in the backpack he’s got on his back…

https://www.mshf.com/museum/index

I now live a relatively short drive (compared to Indy, Daytona, or Chicago) from both the Air Force Armament Museum, that features some amazing aircraft on static display, as well as the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. I’ve taken family and friends to both.

https://navalaviationmuseum.org

Edit - And, I forgot, how could I forget, the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY. (The museum and the factory tours are a lot of fun), the museum is constantly updating/changing the displays, many of the cars are on loan… A few years ago, the last time I was there, they had a bunch of Corvette race cars from the past that were a new addition to the museum.

3 Likes

When my family lived in Alexandria, the Smithsonian was one of our go-to Things To Do (both because my parents believe in education and because it was free). My fave was always the Natural History museum.

4 Likes

I love museums, big or small. Whenever we travel we love poking around local museums and have had some good surprises. We’ve got a few local ones that are fun weekend afternoon visits.

Some of my favorites are the Natural History Museum in London, which is also worth a visit just to look at the architecture, and the British Museum. It’s an amazing collection of stuff stolen borrowed from all over the place, but it’s hard to do it in a day. My last few visits have been of the “pop in, pick a gallery, and see how far I get” variety.

3 Likes

I spent last week-end in Seattle, and by chance the hotel we booked was right across from the Boeing Future of Flight Museum.

We only had time to spot in for a couple minutes and see the gift shop and café as the “breakfast” offered by the hotel was… lacking (the only complaint we had.)

From what we could see, our plan for the next time we head down will be to stay at the same place and put aside a few hours for the museum. I love to add on the walk-thru of the Boeing Facility but $125 a head is a bit pricey.

5 Likes

How about the Penis Museum in Reykjavik?

4 Likes

Oh, if you’re ever in New Orleans I really recommend the N.O. Pharmacy Museum:

It’s not huge but it’s really interesting and well done. I’ve been twice.

5 Likes

I live here, used to work next door even… and still have never been… keep meaning to.

3 Likes

Well, if I REALLY got started, we could be here all day, so I’ll try to take it down a few notches.

Loved the Norton Simon museum in Pasadena, especially the Van Goghs and Monets.

Used to take the kids to the Fernbank Natural History museum when I lived in Atlanta. Searching for ammonites in the floor was a favorite game.

The Monet Marmottan in Paris was my idea of heaven. I could have stayed there for days - and then I went to the Monet rooms at L’Orangerie and if there’s a level above Heaven, that was it. I spent most of my 3 weeks in Paris in various museums (I still carry my friends of the Louvre membership card). That’s why you really shouldn’t get me started.

Honorable mention to the time Phyllis George Brown talked Armand Hammer into bringing his art collection to Lexington (cheese grits were involved, so they say). That was my first REAL exposure to fine art and it totally slayed me.

5 Likes

They might just leave the door open for you.

4 Likes

Before going in the gift shop I joked to the wife “I wonder if they sell spare doors?”
The surprise was the gift shop was actually pretty nice, and one of the nicer museum/cooperate ones I’ve seen.

and no doors for sale.

5 Likes

The Stuff You Learn on The Internet. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting how? The depth into medicine or how deep that rabbit hole goes?

4 Likes

I googled this. Not many pics appropriate for this thread. I had no idea this existed.

2 Likes

ha, it’s just got a lot of cool implements and write-ups that will make you fall down on your knees and kiss the ground the next time you find yourself in a modern hospital. ESPECIALLY if you are a woman. It’s also a cool building with a beautiful little courtyard inside – they do weddings there!

3 Likes

Weddings? Really? In what form? From the past or just in the venue?

1 Like

Modern ones. In the courtyard! Looks like this (with my sister blacked out in the middle):

here’s the back part of the courtyard, with a fountain

3 Likes

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing! Any correlation to the subject. This courtyard?

2 Likes