Music Lovers: favorite unique albums you love

That originates here: Butthole Surfers - Sweat Loaf - YouTube

2 Likes

here’s another gem from them:

1 Like

So they’ve slowly been becoming slightly more mainstream (you can hear their music occasionally on Sirius XM’s Octane channel), but I ran across a Mongolian heavy metal band thanks to FB and became fairly addicted to their music. They’re called The Hu. They sing in Mongolian, so you won’t understand the lyrics unless you happen to speak it, but for me the coolest things about them are that they use the traditional throat singing methods long taught in Mongolia AND play traditional Mongolian instruments as well as your more traditional rock instruments. Their debut album is called The Gereg.

For a sample of their music, see here:

They have also done collaborations with some fairly well-known American artists, and this is my favorite; it’s called Song of Women and they got Lzzy Hale from Halestorm to provide some English lyrics:

And if you happen to have played Star Wars: Fallen Order, you might recognize this song:

Long story short, I love these guys and hope to see them in person at some point in my life.

3 Likes

What I wouldn’t give to see C-3PO disco dancing to this :grin:

1 Like

I have a cassingle of Eddie Murphy’s “Put Your Mouth on Me” from the late 80’s - this is the most unique thing in my music collection, and I think it absolutely qualifies as a museum piece. I will admit that I haven’t listened to it in a long time…

1 Like

They also covered one of my favorite cartoon themes.

1 Like

That WOULD be awesome!

1 Like

Lenny And The Squigtones as in from Laverne & Shirley? Did I imagine an episode where they performed and they had song called “Night After Night,” which they introduced as being “about two nights in a row?”

If I did imagine it, it really made me laugh as a kid.

4 Likes

I thought Me First and the Gimme Gimmes always brought it. A punk rock group that covered movie songs and showtunes and classic numbers? It’s hard to go wrong there.

6 Likes

Among the albums I love, probably the most unique is “Rain Dogs” by Tom Waits. A mix of beat poetry, strange and hilarious songs with unexpected lyrics that came out of God knows where in his mind, and a few regular songs to toss to the radio stations, all played on what sound like instruments scavenged from the basement of an old vaudeville theater.

5 Likes

Yup, that was one of their numbers. According to the podcast, these were characters they were doing as part of a comedy routine, that they later brought to L&S. The album also introduced us to Christopher Guest’s Nigel Tufnel, of This is Spinal Tap fame

4 Likes

Good to know that my ability to retain such important details from fortysome years ago is intact.

2 Likes

I will totally check this out. Been looking for new podcasts.

1 Like

Funny you Mention Meco because I recently got the Netherlands Yellow vinyl of their Wizard of Oz album.

1 Like

These have been a staple in my household for years.
bbq
surf

11 Likes

@UrnotRibs : Same!

1 Like

Much of his output can easily be described as unique, or weird, and Rain Dogs is one of my favorites by Tom Waits. Bone Machine probably tops the list for me, and there are a lot of similarities between those albums.

An old friend of mine met Tom Waits once, and said he asked him something to the effect of what the keys of success were. Apparently Tom replied with. “Figure out what everyone else is doing, and do the opposite.” I have seen similar quotes attributed to other people, so I don’t think he came up with it on his own, but it does kind of perfectly encapsulate his career.

4 Likes

Saw a John Zorn mention up the page somewhere … this right here:

And for an exploration of “Is noise music, and is tuning really all that necessary?” from a legend, there’s always:

For some reason that reminds me that H Jon Benjamin (the voice of Archer) made a jazz album a few years ago titled “Well I should have… learned how to play piano”, he is the pianist on the album, and although it has no lyrics, I find it absolutely hilarious. Here is one of the tracks:

2 Likes

What’s he building in there?!?! I used to like Swordfish Trombone, but I kind of lost my taste for that style. “Small Change” is a really nice album and the chemistry between Waits and the bass player is mesmerizing.

Another oddball: in college somebody found this in a used record store. We listened to it alot