Music: Your first & last vinyl/cassette/CD/stream purchases?

I’m guessing that a non-zero number of people’s firsts are just the first they remember. Which in this case is good enough. It isn’t like anyone is going to be able to fact-check it or anything.

1 Like

It’s murky for me because at first my folks would’ve bought us records. Later it would’ve been my older sister who shared a room with me. I honestly have no clue what the first one was which I liked and also paid for myself. It would’ve come from either Columbia House or a mom-n-pop music store 20 minutes away in Red Bank whose name I no longer recall.

I do remember that the first CDs I ever bought myself were likely Orquestra Was (Don Was & some bandmates) Forever Is A Long, Long Time, Amina Claudine Myers’ Jumpin’ In The Sugar Bowl and Laurie Sargent’s self-titled disc. I didn’t even own a CD player until the early Nineties. After finishing college. So I can still pull that up from the files, at least.

1 Like

First album selected by me for me with my own money was “Rio” by Duran Duran.

2 Likes

The last CD I bought was Bjork’s “Volta.” Not a bad one to go out on.

2 Likes

I’m sure the first album I bought with my own money was something by The Monkees. Couldn’t tell you which one though. I bought records and cassettes.

Last streaming purchase … The soundtrack for the Star Trek Strange New Worlds musical episode.

2 Likes

First cassette I’m fairly sure was The Spaghetti Incident (Guns N’ Roses). The last might have been Alanis Morrisette’s Jagged Little Pill but I’m not 100% on that. I rarely had the money for music then and I got copies from my friend.

First CD was either Automatic for the People (R.E.M), Everything Must Go (Manic Street Preachers) or Rhythm and Stealth (Leftfield). I possibly bought all three at the same time taking advantage of my new student discount at the nearby Virgin Megastore. Last was The Anti-Fire (Union of Knives). That was their lost album produced by Atticus Ross that was supposed to be released in 2009 but upheaval at their record label put it on ice and the band went on hiatus. They released a new album in 2021 and last year put out an unofficial limited release of The Anti-Fire on CD through their website.

First digital purchase seems to be the Shadows EP by Floating Points going by the purchase date tag which seems about right. Last was The National’s newest album Laugh Track about 3 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Your question popped back into mind this morn… and I was thinking, while I’m using release dates to help me with my memory - what about older albums?

In between the last ‘new release’ LP I named above, and first new release Cassette, I could have bought any number of older releases, either LP or Tape (looking over my records, I found a few with little notches cut into the covers, or the corner clipped off, so I was obviously spending time in the cut-out sections, searching for bargains, and those would be difficult to track, specifically)

And yeah, the Beatles “Please, Please Me” single started off the explosion of fandom for music and bands and singers, I got that in late '72 or 'early '73. Buuuuut, now that I think of it, I do remember the 45 for “Snoopy vs the Red Baron”, when did I get ahold of that? And what about cardboard records? 1969, “Sugar, Sugar” by the Archies.

366_4006_ucp

The first actual rock n’ roll record in my collection, might have come off the back of a box of “Super Sugar Crisp” cereal.

1 Like

I’m at the mercy of my memory here, so… there’s gonna be a lot of blanks.

First cassette: Weird Al Yankovic’s “In 3-D”. Fitting, no?

Last cassette: I -want- to say that it was the cassingle of Coolio’s “Gangsta’s Paradise,” but I can’t be certain.

First CD: “Television’s Greatest Hits, Vol 3: 70s and 80s.” I’ll be perfectly honest; I bought this entirely for the theme song to Welcome Back, Kotter, which I loved watching on Nick-at-Nite. But it came with a bunch of other great theme songs, like Taxi, The Muppet Show, The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, The Rockford Files, and Barney BY GOD Miller.

Last CD: I want to say “Funeral” by Arcade Fire.

First / last stream: [laughs, gestures to YouTube] C’MON, SON.

1 Like

Same. Bought it with birthday money at the Ben Franklin Craft Store in St. Albans, VT – which was the closest thing that city had to a record store in the 80’s.

1 Like

:smiley:

Freaking. Rad.

[fistbump]

First album I owned (twas a gift, but I had a dumb little record player):

Got it when I was 5 and still have it…lol.

First cassette I ever bought was:
Police-album-synchronicity

First pirated cassette given to me:
Metallica_-_...And_Justice_for_All_cover

First pirated cassette given to another:
INXS_kick

First CD:

Quickly followed by:
71gXJ87uMAL.SX425

First download was (nod to @AndrewCrossett :saluting_face:) from Napster:
Closer_to_god_US-1

Last vinyl purchase (there were several at the same time):
Princepurplerain
Queen_Flash_Gordon
61W1eKi4ubL.SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp
Nine_Inch_Nails_-_Pretty_Hate_Machine
(there’s a great record store in Phoenixville, PA!)

Last download?
Hocus Pocus selections The Witches are back, One Way or Another & I Put a Spell on You

2 Likes

I did have a bunch of Mr. Rogers LPs as a little kid, but those were really my parents’ rather than mine.

Come to think of it, the first album I ever had that could truly be considered “mine” may have been this one:

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 12.02.07 PM

Had a lot of interesting stuff on there, including T.S. Eliot singing “The Song of the Jellicles.”

3 Likes

The very very very first album that I suppose could be considered as “mine” was:

… which I haven’t seen since using its songs for stupid high school video projects.

The first music I bought with my own money was a single:

Still own this. Yes, I also own Aphex Twin’s Power Pill EP.

I buy CDs to this day (because DRM is garbage and owning what we buy matters). The most recent CD purchased is a tribute to Siouxsie & The Banshees:

… but the most recent album was digital, from Last Life:

1 Like

song purchase online

“Trash (I Love It)” is STILL a mighty banger.

I think my first was the Pizza Hut Ninja Turtles cassette tape

1 Like

As I predicted earlier in the thread, I need to update my “most recent” for CD and vinyl after my trip to the record store today…

• Prong – State Of Emergency
• Dying Fetus – Make Them Beg For Death
• Bob Dylan – Shadow Kingdom
• Evile – The Unknown
• Bootsy Collins – The One Giveth, The Count Taketh Away
• Leonard Cohen – New Skin For The Old Ceremony
• John Doe – Fables In A Foreign Land
• Kraftwerk – Soest Live
• Alice In Chains – Live*
• Alice In Chains – Unplugged*
• AC/DC – If You Want Blood
• Sodom – Genesis XIX
• Time To Kill – S.B.A.H.
• Christone “Kingfish” Ingram – 662
• Motörhead – Hammered
• Greta Van Fleet – Starcatcher
• Carcass – Heartwork (Ultimate Edition)
• Cavalera – Morbid Visions
• Cavalera – Beastial Devastation
• John Prine – Lost Dogs & Mixed Blessing
• Helmet – Live And Rare
• Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – 100 Days 100 Nights
• Venom – Sons Of Satan: Rare And Unreleased
• Helloween – Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 1
• Motörhead – Motörizer
• Joy Division – Closer
• Amorphis – The Beginning Of Time
• Aphex Twin - Blackbox Life Recorder 21f / In A Room7 F760
• Aphex Twin – Come To Daddy
• Dream Theater – When Day And Dream Unite
• KISS – Rock And Roll Over
• Elk Startled By Thunder – Overdue
• Alice Cooper – Road
• Baroness – Stone
• Rhiannon Giddens – You’re The One
• Steep Canyon Rangers – Morning Shift
• Voïvod – Morgoth Tales
• Municipal Waste – Waste ‘Em All
• Leonard Cohen – Recent Songs
• The Cure – The Cure*
• Various Artists – The Daptone Super Soul Revue Live At The Apollo
• David Bowie – A Reality Tour*
• Gary Clark Jr. – Black And Blu
• Dr. John – Things Happen That Way
• Cannibal Corpse – Chaos Horrific
• John Prine – Diamonds In The Rough
• Overkill – I Hear Black
• Overkill – White Devil Armory
• Off! – Off!
• N.W.A. – Straight Outta Compton
• Ozzy Osbourne – Scream
• John Coltrane – A Love Supreme: The Complete Masters (Vinyl)

The ones with asterisks are proper purchases of things I previously had…less than legitimate copies of.

Oh yeah, I guess the point was both first and last. Last is a bit tricky as there is the stuff I have straight up purchased (hand someone money and they hand me an album), and the stuff I have pre-ordered but won’t actually see for a couple months.

My most recent purchase was half an hour ago when I ordered one of the final remaining copies of the self titled ‘Hello June’ LP on vinyl.

My most recent in person purchase were a pair of used CD’s from Armadillo Music in Davis. A promo copy of ‘Come Clean’ by Curve, and a deluxe reissue of ‘This Is The Sea’ by The Waterboys.

The most recent pre-order which arrived in the mail was a copy of ‘Tomorrow’s Fire’ by Squirrel Flower.

My last CD/vinyl purchase is now this. I went to the record store today and spent a couple bucks…

CD:
• Go Ahead And Die – Unhealthy Mechanisms
• Fear Factory – Aggression Continuum
• Fishbone – Bottles To The Ground
• Black Pumas – Chronicles Of A Diamond
• Dimmu Borgir – Inspiratio Profanus
• Aerosmith – Toys In The Attic
• The Cure – Bestival 2011
• Cypress Hill – Black Sunday
• Morbid Angel – Heretic
• Rolling Stones – Tattoo You
• Off! – First Four EPs
• Willie Nelson – Bluegrass
• The Polyphonic Spree – Live From Austin TX
• Prince – 3121
• Prince – Diamonds And Pearls (Deluxe Reissue)
• Helmet – Left
• Animals As Leaders – Parrhesia
• Brandi Carlile – The Firewatcher’s Daughter
• Brandi Carlile – in These Silent Days (Deluxe Edition)/In The Canyon Haze
• AC/DC – Highway To Hell
• Blue Öyster Cult – Spectres
• Cannibal Corpse – Evisceration Plauge
• Children Of Bodom – The Final Show In Helsinki Ice Hall 2019
• John Prine – Sweet Revenge
• Nina Simone – You’ve Got To Learn
• Sly & The Family Stone – Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I’m Back
• Sodom – 40 Years At War: The Greatest Hell Of Sodom