My Best Friend's Kid Brother

At 17, I began a friendship lasting 25 years. He is my brother, my dearest friend, and the family I never had. Back at the start, I brought over MST3K and while he never was fond his brother learned to love it. A quarter of a century later, my pal and I are closer than ever and my humor rubbed off on him but not MST. His brother is as much a fan as ever enough that my friend gives me grief on his bro not watching good movies and MST to boot. He’s joking mostly though a kernel of truth is there. What should I say to him? His brother is an adult. Taste is a personal measure and I may have influenced him to love MST but if he didn’t have an inclination already it wouldn’t have mattered. It’s not that important. I figured if maybe an answer was out there it may be here. Thanks!

2 Likes

Tell him he should really just relax.

5 Likes

He wouldn’t grasp the reference, but I AGREE.

2 Likes

My bud is aware of two Mystery Science staples. Manos (1966) which he’s seen unriffed and riffed due to my talking of it and curiosity and Eegah! (1962) owing to my “Honk if you love Eegah!” quoting which he now spouts himself.

1 Like

Would he be into the shorts (unriffed)? My daughter really loves unriffed versions of MST3K shorts. She talks about Coily all the time because he’s so creepy. Most of them are on YouTube. Maybe you can sort of subtly get him into the idea more?

1 Like

Hmmm… I like that. I exposed him to Rifftrax’s McGruff The Crime Dog short on Octaman (1971) last year. He was in another room when I hit play and he quickly popped in and loved it. Once the short was done, he’d had his fill. He commented it appealed to him.

2 Likes

I toyed introducing him to Shake Hands With Danger on the Rifftrax MST3K Reunion disc. It felt up his alley.

1 Like