MY GAMERA'S BACK AND YOU'RE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE: It's your OPEN THREAD for tonight's premiere of episode 1307: GAMERA VS JIGER

They’ll take you from this dump you’re in and stick you in a…huge turtle?

1 Like

If trunk spaghetti is the grossest moment in MST3K history, it has a close second-place contender in the man melting incredibly in The Incredible Melting Man.

3 Likes

I watched yesterday during the day because I wasn’t able to stay up for the live stream, but it was great! I loved it. So many solid riffs.

4 Likes

Rewatching now, and I’m amazed at how, when Jiger busts out of the earth, he goes straight to the water to get a drink, and we have to watch 30 seconds of him drinking water. I imagine the writers room looked something like this:

Head Writer: [Puffs on pipe] You wake up from a long nap, what’s the first thing you do?

Writer 1: Take a wee.

Writer 2: Change underwear.

Head Writer: [beat] You get a drink of water.

Writers 1 and 2, collectively: That’s right we do.

Head Writer: We need a scene where Jiger hydrates. Otherwise, no one will believe he’s been asleep for so long. And hydration is very important.

Writer 1, to Writer 2: That’s why he’s the boss.

Writer 2: [nods]

3 Likes

…I’m not reading 2000+ replies to see if I’m saying everyone else said but I think it’s a very good episode despite the uphill battle of a long runtime.

Jeez, this was a surprisingly bloody one. Did not expect to see real or “real-ish” footage of parasites in an elephant truck because that was nasty.

Jigen, as a monster, has WAY too much going on. Too many powers and they don’t all feel like they tie in thematically. I feel like it’s whatever the writer just thought up. Or maybe he had too many monster power ideas. This isn’t actually the last one but it feels like it is and the writer just had all these ideas and realized he wasn’t going to get another chance and just made it into a super monster with jet gills and spikes and a heat ray that is also a sonic ray? That one was confusing. Is heat infamously loud?

The World Expo thing is interesting, I mostly recognize the owl-looking thing from appearing from time to time in anime and manga. It’s actually a plot point in a great thriller called 20th Century Boys, about a group of kids who grow up and then learn the fun mythology they made up in the late 60s has been converted into a cult. Check it out, it’s very good.

2 Likes

No worries on that!

Just as it was with previous episodes, a dedicated Spoiler Discussion thread is now open for business here!

2 Likes

Ha! I stayed awake for the whole thing this time! The trick was to bake during the show, not before. :grin:

3 Likes

Now I think we must make a strawberry dish that’s Gamera-themed

2 Likes

Clearly someone did indeed watch the Wire.

2 Likes

The site is now a park, with some of the buildings still there:

And Expo 2025 is going to be in Osaka!

https://www.expo2025.or.jp/en/

The first “World’s Fair”/Expo is generally considered to be the 1851 Great Exhibition in London. The structure used for it, known as the Crystal Palace, was later moved to south London, where it gave a name to the whole neighbourhood, although the building itself burnt down in 1936.

3 Likes

Is the replay available yet?

1 Like

Strawberries are really sweet
In a jam, theyre such a treat
We are eating STRAW-BER-RIES

8 Likes

I think so? I just checked the gizmoplex and it’s playing the full hour and 48 minutes for me. *Though it doesn’t look like it includes the livestream after.

1 Like

Yep! Just finished watching it.

3 Likes

** AFTER ACTION REPORT **

Watched the premier of 1307 with my extended family including my darling niece who is 4 years old. I knew that she’d never seen any MST3K before, but I found out about 30 minutes in that she’d never even sat through more than fifteen minutes of “live action” ANYTHING before. My darling niece, of course, prefers her entertainment animated.

Here parents were shocked and I was delighted that she not only sat riveted to the whole show, but giggled like the adorable 4 year old she is many times throughout.

** RESULTS **
I knew MST3K is special, but experiencing it with a 4 year old has made me appreciate just how remarkable this show really is. Excellent work MST3K team! Much love! :heart:

11 Likes

Fun episode, even if the movie dragged at times (as we were warned). Makes me wonder if we’ll get Gamera vs. Viras next season.

3 Likes

As soon as I saw the swollen trunk I looked closely to see if it was fake, and yes, above and below the bulge you can see the seam where they put some sort of sleeve over the trunk.

And as soon as I saw the scalpel, I looked away!

5 Likes

… That wasn’t a model?

1 Like

Is Dr. St. Phibes’s host segment from this episode the most unsettling host segment since MST3K’s return in Season 11?

For me, if it’s not the most bizarre, it’s right up there. Especially since it’s only a few minutes removed from Larva Trunk.

Cronenbergian GPC. Jonah The Bot. The Brain That Snacked.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it’s equally silly and sinister. And I equally approve of it and applaud it very much. Cheers, MST3K crew, cheers.

6 Likes

Just watched this, hilarious work by everyone! Some very brief reactions:

1. I see why they edit these movies for time.
  2. Somebody get the Dropkick Murphys on the phone, stat!
  3. Cornjob with a Hitler moustache? Bold choice, Mr. Director.
6 Likes