MY GAMERA'S BACK AND YOU'RE GONNA BE IN TROUBLE: It's your OPEN THREAD for tonight's premiere of episode 1307: GAMERA VS JIGER

I think so? I just checked the gizmoplex and it’s playing the full hour and 48 minutes for me. *Though it doesn’t look like it includes the livestream after.

1 Like

Yep! Just finished watching it.

3 Likes

** AFTER ACTION REPORT **

Watched the premier of 1307 with my extended family including my darling niece who is 4 years old. I knew that she’d never seen any MST3K before, but I found out about 30 minutes in that she’d never even sat through more than fifteen minutes of “live action” ANYTHING before. My darling niece, of course, prefers her entertainment animated.

Here parents were shocked and I was delighted that she not only sat riveted to the whole show, but giggled like the adorable 4 year old she is many times throughout.

** RESULTS **
I knew MST3K is special, but experiencing it with a 4 year old has made me appreciate just how remarkable this show really is. Excellent work MST3K team! Much love! :heart:

11 Likes

Fun episode, even if the movie dragged at times (as we were warned). Makes me wonder if we’ll get Gamera vs. Viras next season.

3 Likes

As soon as I saw the swollen trunk I looked closely to see if it was fake, and yes, above and below the bulge you can see the seam where they put some sort of sleeve over the trunk.

And as soon as I saw the scalpel, I looked away!

5 Likes

… That wasn’t a model?

1 Like

Is Dr. St. Phibes’s host segment from this episode the most unsettling host segment since MST3K’s return in Season 11?

For me, if it’s not the most bizarre, it’s right up there. Especially since it’s only a few minutes removed from Larva Trunk.

Cronenbergian GPC. Jonah The Bot. The Brain That Snacked.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it’s equally silly and sinister. And I equally approve of it and applaud it very much. Cheers, MST3K crew, cheers.

6 Likes

Just watched this, hilarious work by everyone! Some very brief reactions:

1. I see why they edit these movies for time.
  2. Somebody get the Dropkick Murphys on the phone, stat!
  3. Cornjob with a Hitler moustache? Bold choice, Mr. Director.
6 Likes

It managed to be both janky and fake, yet super gross and nasty. The people in the scene react appropriately, minus demanding why, why, WHY would you ever show that to another person!?

4 Likes

Reply 2112! :grinning:

As a kid, I must’ve seen this movie, but the only part I’ve always remembered is the poor elephant with trunk worms.

1 Like

Just re-watched Gamera vs Jiger again via the Livestream Re-Broadcast… And it could just be my imagination, but after hearing a shout-out from Kinga about how many more hosts she could capture… her test subjects are nice but they’re not Mike… Pearl & Kinga are going to have a little getaway for some quality time in the Time Bag, then by the end Kinga’s bag is packed during the closing host segment, leaving Max & the Clones to run the experiments… Well, during the Livestream countdown, I saw an extra paper cut-out puppet that I double-checked that I hadn’t ever seen before, and I thought… Wait… No… Are they…?? They couldn’t… Wait… No… They could…! ? Are they gonna…? Are they going to bring back MIKE?!?!

By the power of Time Bag, they have the poooweeer!!!

he-man GIF by haydiroket (Mert Keskin)

:scream: :dizzy_face: :star_struck: :skull: :exploding_head: :angel: :grin:

1 Like

Finally getting to watch the livestream. I haven’t seen this movie since the last century.

2 Likes

Some might get it on a later watch.

1 Like

I’m excited for the new tribute show!

1 Like
1 Like

There seems to be a consensus with the crew that the show works best in a 90-minute format, and fair enough, I’m inclined to believe that.

It did lead me to worry about this one. If the movie was uncut and the episode went over 100 minutes, would it start to drag? Would it wear out its welcome?

And all I can say is that I didn’t even notice the length as I was watching it. The writers and the performers did their jobs well. The episode was fun and engaging throughout, and they came up with some clever ways to cover the long dragging stretches, like Gamera’s Lament.

It’s one for the books.

3 Likes

Fortunately the uncut film was already on the short side.

3 Likes

Well, it did drag and wear out its welcome, but only for the usual reasons.

1 Like

Thing is, this episode only ended up being 10-15-ish minutes longer than a normal episode. That to me is close enough to 90 minutes to not be noticeable.

If they had done a 2 hour movie uncut, that would have been noticeably longer.

2 Likes

Didn’t matter in the slightest. Why gripe about getting MOAR MST3K?

2 Likes