My local library doesn't quite know what to do with MST3k

It seems like libraries have kind of a tough time figuring out MST3k.

Sometimes the cataloguers enter the collections based on the subject matter of the movies…
Capture3

…and sometimes they decide what’s going on with the Mads and the SoL is what matters.
Capture2

Literally the only thing the cataloguers in the ~80 libraries that comprise our entire metro area network have ever categorized as being about “Rotating space stations – Drama” is MST3k.

9 Likes

The dramatic Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reboot, but it’s MST3K.

4 Likes

“We got movie sign, but my MOM is saying I have to STUDY!”

4 Likes

“Guys. GUYS. We have to focus and pull it together for this week’s Invention Exchange. I HAVE NOWHERE ELSE TO GO.”

3 Likes

What do they have under the “Non-rotating Space Stations - Drama” heading?

6 Likes

Silent Running?

4 Likes

I can’t bring myself to watch that. We’re edging far too close to the world of hard-hitting, gritty, explicit, emotionally taxing reboots of stuff like Teddy Ruxpin and Three’s Company.

At some point someone is going to want to do something like Golden Girls but Blanche will be a virulent racist bitter about being cut off from her grandkids and Dorothy will be making the house payments by running a prescription drug mill that gets Rose’s husband killed which is what forces her to move in to take care of Sophia who has some awful terminal illness that’s slowly robbing her of her own mind and critics all over the internet will trample themselves to be like “this isn’t the Golden Girls we like…but it’s the Golden Girls we NEED” and then I will shake my fist at the sky and curse the clouds themselves, secure in the knowledge that we didn’t, in fact, need to reimagine something fun and playful as something dark and mean.

5 Likes

The SoL doesn’t even rotate!

Get your facts straight, library!

6 Likes

OK, seriously. I have no interest in the Fresh Prince reboot, but YOU should work for the studios. Because this is a version of Golden Girls I would HAVE TO watch.

5 Likes

Breaking Golden Bad Girls ?

4 Likes

Are you sure it doesn’t rotate? I thought it was tidally locked to the Earth in geosynchronous orbit during the CC years. While orbiting the earth, it was TECHNICALLY rotating, just at a rate of roughly 24 hours per rotation. Now once it was cut loose of Earths gravity and starting hurtling through the universe on its own… Who knows… Could have still been rotating, might not have been. Now it DID have Gizmonic’s patented gravity plates on each deck, so it didn’t NEED to rotate to simulate gravity, but still.

3 Likes

But. There are so many stories about rotating space stations? What about Star Trek DS9? The most iconic rotating space station drama!?

3 Likes

I mean, 2001?

But it’s a crazy category to begin with!

5 Likes