My MST3K "Pinball Peril" Virtual Pinball machine...

…Is nearly complete. I based this table off of JPSalas’ “Polar Explorer” table by Taito with all new art, design, 3d toys and lighting done by me. It plays random music from the show and has been fun both designing and playing it.

If you know how to set up Visual Pinball and PinMame you can download the VPX for free (will be submitted to VPForums.org) in the next few days.

Check out the art and build images at my Tumblr or Instagram account:

@shoeboxtheater

72 Likes

Gameplay video:

26 Likes

That is amazing! :star_struck:

8 Likes

Wow, that’s a beaut. Very impressive

7 Likes

“Pull the plunger, Frank.” :heart:

11 Likes

Woot, I love a board that feeds my fandoms! It looks terrific, can’t wait to play it!

8 Likes

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed playing pinball once upon a time, I have to say, this board design is terrific! This is an MST3K pinball machine I would have loved to have played when I was growing up!

In general, the attention to detail for this thing is just the best.

I love the circle of characters around the planet logo. You went so far as to include Ardy and the Nanites here, and that’s fantastic!

That’s something really cool, how you have a Monster Row with Gamera, Werewolf, Hobgoblins, and the Horror of Party Beach, as well as Action Alley with Mitchell, Rowsdower, and Diabolik all represented. You even worked in Mr. B Natural, Amazing Colossal Man Glenn Manning, Trumpy (who’s thinking, “Why do you keep hurting that silver potato”, and that’s PERFECT) , Jonah’s Backjack, and the Widowmaker.

And I love the “FOR THOSE KEEPING SCORE AT HOME” text on the score display, and there’s even a Shout Factory logo on display. Like I said, your attention to detail is really something.

I’d have to imagine that this would have to be a sheer joy when multiball mode kicks in. Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing that with us, and congrats on the excellent work!

10 Likes

This should be in the gizmoplex so we can all play it!

17 Likes

Ok, what point in the negotiation do we start throwing money at you like Magic Mike? This project must happen.

12 Likes

I initially read this as “Pinball Pearl” which I think is quite fitting.

12 Likes

MST3K, The Pinball Machine: Pearl’s Peril.

11 Likes

Loving Lovers Love Multiball!

10 Likes

There’s actually a gag on the Apron that calls this out. Mike in silhouette states: “Those morons spelled Pearl’s name wrong”

9 Likes

You are my hero. I have no idea how to set this up but that will be resolved VERY soon.

Well done. I’m genuinely excited about this.

6 Likes

Also, way to make a first post. Holy crap.

8 Likes

… And now I’m devastated. No visual pinball for Mac.

I am bugged!

4 Likes

Trust me, if I could have had my machine set up on a Mac I would have. Trying to get my machine running smoothly on a custom build PC has been at times a nightmare.

Your only option would be to install windows on a Boot Camp partition or else get a decent gaming PC.

3 Likes

I suppose boot camp is an option. I do have a sad neglected set of Steam games that languish, forgotten due to my shift away from Windows. I’ll have to do some research on that.

3 Likes

Boot Camp is certainly one way to go but it’s dependent on having an Intel processor (all current gen Macs are heading in a different direction) and it’ll mean having a dualboot situation which may or may not be ideal.

An alternative would be Parallels. Spin up a Windows VM and dedicate it to gaming/virtual pinball. This is a bad solution for really old Macs and anyone wanting to make a Mac-based virtual table cabinet; for the remainder, though, it gets around the CPU issue and you never have to leave macOS.

I’d follow with “or just skip Visual Pinball” but most of the alternatives out there are crazy-silly locked into having Windows handy.

4 Likes

This is spectacular! The art is absolutely beautiful. Amazing work.

4 Likes