My Rock Albums Hall of Fame! (WIP)

In order to pass the time away, I’ve decided to make an online Rock Albums Hall of Fame.

“Hall of Fame” is probably a bad term, but I don’t know what else to call it. Not all the albums on the list (and there are a LOT of them) are regular household listening.

It’s not a list of the best albums of all time, although they’re all great examples of what they’re trying to be and they all please the audience they’re intended for, whether they were commercially successful or not. Some are on here because they were critically acclaimed, some because they were very successful with the critics who matter (the buying public), and some because they were important to the development of popular music in the latter half of the 20th century.

Taking a cue from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I’m limiting the list to albums that are at least 25 years old (released in 1997 or earlier, as of this year) so I can make sure they have stood the test of time.

And they’re not all strictly rock albums… call it rock and rock-adjacent. There are also blues, R&B, pop, hip-hop, electronica, disco, soul, funk, jazz fusion, and even ambient records on here. I’ve avoided including anything that’s straight-up country, jazz, folk, or whatever unless it had some good connection with or influence on rock. Basically, I know it when I see it.

It is a very diverse list. There’s everything from Christian rock to Satanic black metal on here.

I’m listing them alphabetically by title, and as of now I’m finished formatting through the letter B. I intend to make these pages public at some point, though few people may ever care to look at them.

Each entry has a thumbnail of the cover, the year and label, a list of the main musicians who played on it and the producer, a track list with YouTube links for a couple of songs for each, and links to the album’s write-up on Wikipedia and AllMusic.

Linked only from here for the time being, and currently only done through “B”. I welcome anyone pointing out any stupid omissions I made, since it’s tough to keep track of all the rock albums ever released.

Numbers (this is albums whose titles start with numerals or, in one case, symbols.)

A

B

C

It is your project so you can alphabetize how you want, but I will tell you it broke my brain from the jump that you are going alpha by album title, not by artist.

IMO, alpha by artist is the only way to do it. By title is only for multi-artist non-cover albums (e.g. the “Now That’s What I Call Music” series) and soundtracks.

The letter “C” is now up, should anyone care.

C

This is meant to be more of a display than a reference work… after all, there’s nothing to it but my own educated opinion. It’s a museum rather than an encyclopedia. But I will add a list of entries alphabetized by artist when it’s done.