My Thoughts on Beta

I appreciate the amount of effort that have been put in. I understand the desire to not just create the same layout as hulu or netflix. However I think for many people they may find the layout confusing. I wish more effort would be spent on add on content rather than the layout of the gizmoplex. For instance that there could be special features and commentary added to episodes. Or that movies could have a comments section or discourse of some kind. Some of the gizmoplex features come off as gimmicky and don’t add much in the way of the experience. So I would just say please put the majority of the effort into the content rather than the layout of the app.

7 Likes

The people doing content and the people doing the Gismoplex are not the same and require completely different skillsets

2 Likes

It’s still the same pool of money and the resources could go into content rather than web design. We ultimately need both but I think decent web design could be achieved in a relatively simple way.

2 Likes

I feel the same way, I actually prefer the ease of the VHX MST3K app more than the Gizmoplex. There is a reason websites no longer are point and click adventures, the complete gimmick of the whole idea wears off quite quickly, and the annoyance of not being able to navigate quickly, waiting for animations every bit of the way, will make it feel archaic quite fast.

I’m all for doing something new, and not copying other streaming services. But like… They are taking a page out of 90s websites, things that are massive no nos in UI/UX.

I wouldn’t share the Gizmoplex to anyone over the age of 5, in hopes it wouldn’t turn them off to ever be a fan.

5 Likes

I think the Gizmoplex is fun for the live showings, but I agree with @Humbledstone that the Gizmoplex is a little unwieldy for general use. The theater for watching the old episodes is fun, and I do like the idea of being able to have a group watch, but all in all, I don’t know that I’d want to use it all the time.

4 Likes

I like that there is a bit of whimsy in the virtual theater experience. I’m withholding final judgement on its usability until it is actually finished. Some of our frustration, I think, comes from the fact that we are finding the bugs that need to be fixed so the experience is diminished in that sense.

I think its main selling point will be the ability to host watch parties, and hopefully something similar to the experience on Twitch where there is always a random episode playing that you can pop in and sit down to watch.

7 Likes

I backed the Kickstarter to support more MST3K and for them to have their own platform. Even if I don’t ever get won over by the Gizmoplex, I’m happy others enjoy it.

I also will never ever use those features, but I’m glad they are available to those who will use them.

I have loved the live events, that was worth every Penny to me.

8 Likes

This.

It’s totally Alternaversal’s prerogative and decision on how they’d like to present their content. Doing something like the virtual theater’s UX is definitely trying to stand out against the vast, salt sea of subscription services out there that all look and act the same. It’s always sorta been Joel’s thang to give stuff he makes a proverbial 45° tilt to be a li’l different and, while I have issues with the current incarnation of the virtual theater, I respect the stretch of the creative muscles going on.

I wasn’t helping to fund a web experience; I was helping to fund programming I enjoy. There’ll be lots of ways to get that content. Pretty sure at least one of them will be the right fit for me, and maybe one of the other ones is a better fit for you.

One of the best things the Beastie Boys ever did was kick the record labels to the curb and independently release their music themselves. It’s kinda-sorta what I hope season 13 can do for MST3K.

6 Likes

I think if anyone is going to have a clumsy 90s-style web experience, it’s MST3K!

By the way, all those complaints about 90s point-and-click experiences are the same reasons the “Metaverse” is going to essentially go nowhere. I love MMORPGs, but I don’t want to do my office work or my shopping in one.

7 Likes

mnemonic

6 Likes

good points, but the jump from user-interface/user experience no-nos to not sharing with anyone over 5 is hyper-hyperbolic.
there is no one to impress here…just lay out your thoughts on things without the flashy bollox. :beers::facepunch:t3:

2 Likes

I said the last part because Joel specially shared that he envisions your friends over and you share the point and click fun with them… Which I thought… Yeah, I’m not going to make a Mystie by showing that to them first. Same reason I wouldn’t use Manos as the first movie.

So it wasn’t hyperbole. In the live stream, Joel made the point of saying Mysties can show their friends it to introduce them to the show…

I think true fans can and will enjoy the style and approach, but the majority of people would politely smile, then wish I would stop giving them a tour haha.

2 Likes

They could put the theater in a metaverse where you aren’t clicky clicking for data but are adventuring around like a real boy and maybe want to go to the movies while you’re in there. Or, that being with friends thing where a skeuomorphic makes it more fun. Outside the land of eyeball covers and social interaction, I imagine people mostly just want to get to the show with as few barriers or steps as possible.

2 Likes

Yeah, the watch party feature never had an appeal to me, but a VR watch party… That’s something I’d be willing to try.

2 Likes

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

5 Likes