Mystery Science Arcade 3000

Who else besides me would love to see a spin-off where they riff terrible video games? Or better yet, a video game.

5 Likes

I love the Power Glove. It’s so bad.

Seriously though, I’m trying to think of what kind of videogame works for MST3K. Maybe a puzzle game like Lemmings, or some kind of escape room simulator. But honestly I think the best choice might be Visual Novel format.

You would sit in front of film clips and choose your desired quips from the dialog tree. (An online version would allow live quipping and audience voting.) The invention exchange could be done like a cooking game or the crafting section of an RPG, and the host segments might be any kind of game stuck in there (platformer, maze game, button-timing challenge, beanbag toss, whatever). Whadda think, sirs? (And madams?)

4 Likes

That would be great. But, until then, have you see this:

And this?

5 Likes

Heh, I remember that during the first Kickstarter’s final countdown, Game Grumps and Crow played this.

3 Likes

Also, I can name a few terrible games:

• E.T. for the Atari 2600
  • Bubsy 3D
  • Superman 64
  • Ninjabread Man
  • Bomberman: Act Zero
  • Zoo Race
  • Glover (PS1 version)
  • Home Improvement (SNES) (over… nothin’)
  • Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis

tries to catch my breath There. I said it. What do you think sirs and gals?

6 Likes

Perhaps a screen scroller with the movie in the background and jokes scrolling on the screen. And u wither have to click on the riffs “guitar Hero” style or click the funniest one and u get points. And you have to craft items during intermission to gain bonuses.

4 Likes

I like that! A musical timing game could work. Riff Riff Revolution!

5 Likes

Honestly given the popularity of twitch streamers- they could absolutely pull it off
A video game would be amazing though…perhaps an rpg?

3 Likes

There is a group called Robot Co-op who riffs video games

3 Likes

If you’re comfortable with a profane version of this idea, there’s always the Angry Videogame Nerd.

3 Likes

I owned it. Yeah, it’s one of my fears that aliens will discover our long-dead planet after even the pyramids have disintegrated, and all they find is the mass grave of those immortal plastic-and-metal cartridges, reconstruct them, decode them, and think that’s what we were all about. I think it’s going to take a supernova to cover up that one.

3 Likes

IIRC, someone’s making a MST-inspired game… Super Inconvenience Mart by Hard as Cheese — Kickstarter

4 Likes

Well, I’m just imagining a game that riffs itself. Imagine a game that notices its own bugs, makes fun of its own level design, and mocks its own overly dramatic custcenes…

4 Likes

Seen the recent announcement trailer for Outer Worlds 2?

4 Likes

So, the Deadpool video game?

5 Likes

Well, there is Game Grumps.

I actually did a couple of videos for something called Mystery Science Arcade 4000. Which featured pictures of titles of the worst games ever made on a bulletin board. But they’ve been taken down and I can’t find them anywhere.

Perhaps Joel should come up with a Video Game concept show.

3 Likes

Okay, that’s glorious.

4 Likes

My brother had the game Off-World Interceptor Extreme on the 3DO (later released to the Sega Saturn). The video cutscenes were so bad that the game makers Mistiefied them, right down to the silhouettes.

3 Likes

…wow, that is quite something right there. The lamp to the side amuses me for some reason. I know there was a Star Wars game that did something similar I believe involving Vader.

3 Likes

@SandyFrank So they were presented this way IN game first play through, or was it an extra you unlocked later?

4 Likes