Name That Subgenre!

What subgenre can’t you stand or can’t get enough of? Slashers, Whodunnits, Urban Fantasy, Superhero Movies, Spaghetti Westerns, Period Movies, Biopics, Disaster Movies, Chick Flicks, Future Noir? What has your number?

3 Likes

Really, really good Cyberpunk.

3 Likes

There is some? I mean, Freejack and Mnemnoic, the Matrices… Tech Noire movies, but cyberpunk in general got short shrift on the big screen. The good news is that half of what I see listed on Netflix could qualify.

2 Likes

Absolutely love body horror and cosmic horror, and when those combine.

Also love cyberpunk stuff but agree with @Pantalones that it’s slim pickin’z. I’m also a bit hypercritical and skeptical of the genre as many, many movies miss the mark completely.

Outside of any specific genre, if it’s trashy and cheesy (to a certain threshold) then I’m all in.

3 Likes

I can’t stand steampunk. I was interested in the early days of alt history speculation a la The Difference Engine but it seemed to turn into a pure fashion trend pretty quickly, all twee surface and no substance. At least it’s no longer trendy and I can view the internet without it being sprayed all over my eyeballs constantly.

3 Likes

I agree completely! There just isn’t enough good stuff in cinema. The two you mentioned (JM and Freejack) “Killswitch” episode of X-Files, and of course I would argue that Bladerunner is, among other things, Cyberpunk.

2 Likes

Fantasy and Sci-Fi Adventure.

1 Like

Time travel sci-fi. I’ll watch any time travel movie no matter how good or bad it is. Timecop is a guilty pleasure, Back to the Future introduced me to the genre, and Primer is my absolute favorite time travel flick.

1 Like

Spaghetti Sci-Fi

It started with Assignment Outer Space and branched out from there

Unriffed!!

1 Like

Surrealist fantasy, Eldritch sci-fi

1 Like

Yes, Blade Runner is. Honestly, I was kinda dumping it under Tech Noir, which isn’t much of a stretch.

1 Like

I’ve learned a few terms from Cinema Snob like sad30yearoldmansploitation from his Windy City review regarding Big Chill and dreamsploitation from his Dreamer review regarding Rocky.

Black comedy is one I’ve always liked the most.

3 Likes

Within the crime genre, I love the HELL out of heist/caper movies.

I’ve always been down for zombie horror, too.

1 Like

One genre of late that irritates me is hipstersploitation movies of the past decade or two especially the really twee ones. Rocket Science is one that really irked me. Playing Violent Femmes on a violin? Gag me.

3 Likes