Artemis and Other General Space Exploration

With NASA’s Artemis launch scheduled for Monday, August 29 I thought we might need a thread for all things Artemis/SLS/Orion similar to the Webb thread.

Artemis homepage - NASA Artemis
Artemis blog - Artemis
Livestream from Launch Complex 39B - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SkLFDypXH0
NASA TV - NASA TV Live - NASA

10 Likes

Thank you! Now I just gotta remember to go outside and watch the launch tomorrow.

3 Likes

NASA has also set up a real-time tracking website to visualize where the vehicle is once it takes off.

6 Likes

One thing I find interesting is that Artemis I will likely complete its entire 42 day-ish mission before CAPSTONE even enters lunar orbit — and the latter was launched two months ago. Orbital mechanics and the amount of delta-v you have available make for interesting trajectories.

6 Likes

kawaii sailor moon GIF

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m surprised it’s got this far, not because of NASA but because of the cogs of government. :slight_smile:

Here’s hoping everything goes well!

7 Likes

I’ve been of two minds of the program for over a decade now, so while I’m excited to see SLS finally launch, the way Congress has treated it as a perenially underfunded jobs program (with the resulting schedule and cost overruns) has left me disenchanted with it. And when you factor in the rapid (dare I say, Apollo-like) rate of progress by SpaceX down in Boca Chica, Texas over the last 24 months on a vehicle that is intended have twice the lifting capacity, be completely reusable, and have a higher build and launch cadence, it’s hard not to wonder how long SLS will persist if Starship/Super Heavy proves successful.

The Internet memes comparing Orion and Starship HLS to SPECTRE’s space capsule snatcher in You Only Live Twice after Artemis III launches will be enthralling to watch.

5 Likes

My uncle said he was going to watch the launch in person at a spot about 10 miles from the launch pad. I’ll have to check back with him to see if he got any good photos.

6 Likes

Alas a scrub for today. Some liquid hydrogen flow issue in one of the four main engines. They’re keeping the vehicle at its current fueled state for a while longer to do more investigation and data collection.
Next launch opportunities are Friday mid-day, then Monday evening (US Labor Day), though they will need to find a solution for this issue first.

5 Likes

Will there be another launch window when the eye of the hurricane passes directly over Cape Canaveral? :wink:

4 Likes

Let’s ask Gregory Peck.

3 Likes

Well, it already successfully defended against five lightning strikes Saturday.
(They hit the protective towers as designed.)

3 Likes

“Hello, God here. Stop trying to go to the moon.”

3 Likes

3 Likes

Rescheduled for Saturday, September 3rd at 11:15 a.m. CDT! Here’s hoping that it goes through this time!

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Looking forward to watching this bird fly in 15 minutes.

Can’t believe we’re going back to the moon :rocket::full_moon:

1 Like

Not today, unfortunately. Launch scrubbed due to a hydrogen leak in the quick disconnect cavity from a fuel connector not properly sealing. Won’t know for a bit yet whether it’ll be fixable on the pad allowing another try around Tuesday, or if SLS needs to be carted back to the VAB for work, in which case we’re looking at October for the next attempt.

1 Like

Darn it

1 Like

The first all-up test flight of the Saturn V, Apollo 4, occurred eleven months after it was originally scheduled to. The problems exposed after the Apollo 1 fire were not limited to just the command and service modules. So SLS is running about par for the course so far.

We’ve been spoiled by the clockwork precision of the launches of older, well-understood vehicles like the Falcon 9, Atlas V, Proton, Soyuz, Ariane 5, and many of the Long Match series. The Space Shuttle always seemed to be a bit temperamental. Even had SLS not suffered years of delays during development, it still would have had these teething problems.

5 Likes

I feel bad for the 200K plus people that drove over here to watch another scrubbed launch. My house is about 25 miles from the pads at KSC, when it does finally launch, I’m gonna be watching out my front door.

4 Likes