NASA Artemis Discussion

Funny that they could get alexa to run stand-alone, rather than requiring you to let amazon record every conversation in your house on a remote server.

If anyone wasn’t clued in on it, that’s what “smart toys” are doing. They used to have dumb terminals that looked like computers but were really connected to mainframes that did all the computing. These days, they cover them in fur.

4 Likes

Got to love the new logo for Privateer Space: the helmet and cross-palms.

1 Like

There are reasons why SpaceX, Blue Origin, Relativity Space, and others have foregone hydrogen for methane to fuel their new rocket engines. Starship and Super Heavy passed their wet dress rehearsal on the first try.

And look what loading that much cryogenic propellant does to the rocket:

2 Likes

Cow farts are cheaper to procure?

1 Like

I’m not sure about the price, but methane is a heck of a lot easier to handle and store than hydrogen, particularly as a cryogenic liquid.

2 Likes

Even as a gas. The spectrum tubes we use for spectroscopy demos, the hydrogen tubes are always leaking. It’s sooooo hard to keep them effectively sealed even while the others are just fine.

2 Likes

Yours, too, 'eh? We always had problems with the hydrogen tubes too. Must be the same supplier. We completely redesigned our spectroscopy cart to try and keep the H gas contained. Still leaks.

3 Likes

And then there’s this little problem…

Data from SLS Flight Prepares NASA for Future Artemis Missions

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:45 PM

NASA’s Space Launch System rocket carrying the Orion spacecraft launches on the Artemis I flight test, Nov. 16, 2022, from Launch Complex 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. Photo Credit: (NASA/Joel Kowsky)

NASA continues to evaluate data and learn more about the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket’s debut performance during the agency’s Nov. 16 Artemis I launch. Following an initial data assessment and review that determined the SLS rocket met or exceeded all performance expectations, SLS engineers are now taking a closer look at the Moon rocket’s performance to prepare for the first crewed Artemis missions.

1 Like