Netflix Stock Tumbling After Revealing A Loss Of 200,000 Subscribers.

But what’s going to replace it? Telepathy?

1 Like

mst3k612cranialports

Cranial ports!

6 Likes

Going outside? Reading?

ᵢ 𝒸ᵣₐ𝒸ₖ ₘᵧₛₑₗ𝒻 ᵤₚ

2 Likes

Until the e-book market stops growing and the world stops making them.

4 Likes

“Major corporation surprised to learn that infinite growth is not possible on a finite planet. News at 11.”

12 Likes

EVERY time.

5 Likes

This is the way. I’m doing this now.

2 Likes

I dropped Netflix in February thanks to the new price hike after 8 years of subscribing. They’ve lost most of the shows I care to rewatch and rarely make anything new that interests me. The streaming world’s changed a lot in that time and they don’t seem to get it.

3 Likes

Netflix will be fine. They’re losing a few hundred thousand subs but they’ve got like 20+ million so it’s not like they’re going to be mortally wounded. But their halcyon days of throwing away money on producing content that no one likes are probably over (and that’s a good thing).

5 Likes

Er… 20 million + 200 million.

I predict that people will be shocked by how fast Netflix falls, but I’m not sure it’s started its decline yet.

1 Like

Apparently, there is now a memo circulating inside NetFlix that an ad-based tier will be in place by the end of this year.

I doubt that will stop the haemorrhaging of subscribers. Too many people are ad-averse these days.

1 Like

Most parents of small children will concede that if a kid hates a particular vegetable, continuing to shove it in their face will only make them hate it more.

I guess no one’s ever explained this truth to whoever’s running Netflix. lol.

3 Likes

They’re smaaaaart. That’s how come they work there!!

2 Likes

I do think this was inevitable to a large degree once the content producers took their balls and went home to their own streaming services. Whether or not that was a smart idea remains to be seen. The CW made a ton off of its deal with Netflix; now that that’s over (except for shows grandfathered in) the CW is suddenly cancelling a bunch of series. Sure, HBO Max has Batwoman in its catalog…but it ended after three seasons instead of six like Supergirl. It feels like an everybody loses kind of situation to me.

It depends on how cheap it is. I’ve got Paramount+ free from T-Mobile and Hulu for the $1/month Black Friday deal; if I’m paying little or nothing for the service I don’t mind ads. If it’s cheap (definitely under $10 a month; closer to $5 would be preferable) and the ads aren’t overwhelming in length or frequency I’d probably do it.

The bigger problem I see, potentially, is that a lot of Netflix content just isn’t designed with good places for ad breaks.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m fine with ads that let you close them after the first 5 sec.

2 Likes

“As long as our competitors lose more!”

3 Likes

I have many choice words for Netflix, but none of them are appropriate for this forum because the vast majority of these words are curse words. I hope they get exactly what they deserve, since what they deserve ain’t great.

4 Likes

On Free Comic Book Day last weekend I picked up an issue of Trese, a Filipino comic that is apparently very popular. I liked it and saw that it was being turned into an animated Netflix series. Now I see that the 6-episode first season is there, but I’m wondering if I want to get into it since Netflix is apparently pulling the plug on animation.

2 Likes

psychpopcorngus

I’m just here to enjoy some microwave schadenfreude at Netflix’s expense.

Proceed.

5 Likes

Couldnt’ve happened to a nicer bunch of dickweeds. :laughing:

7 Likes