New Batman animated series, Batman: Caped Crusader, coming to Prime

So it looks like the latest animated Batman series is finally getting off the ground.

Ugh. Yet another brooding, dark, humorless Bruce Wayne/Batman.

I really wish they would get off the Dark Knight version. I’ve always thought the character needed Dick Grayson/Robin to help humanise Bruce/Batman and frankly make him more interesting. This “cold, remorseless avenger of evil” is just so one-note.

As for voices, I don’t know Hamish Linklater. I wonder how much of his portrayal will be based on Kevin Conroy. (one of, if not the best, version of the character)

5 Likes

Hamish’s mom was a famous vocal trainer, I would bet he has good voice.

2 Likes

I agree, I don’t hate brooding, sensitive Batman that sit by a well (Will Forte is my latest favorite Batman); but I do want to see a modern remake of something more campy a la’ Adam West and Burt Ward.

Who could play the new, campy Batman?

• Chris Pratt and Timothy Chalamet
  • Donald Glover and Danny Pudi
  • Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill
  • Nick Offerman and Megan Mullally
0 voters
1 Like

Hamish Linklater? I just saw him in Legion, but eh, he sounds like Bob Belcher, if he was trying to be grim and dark.

Curious to hear Ricci’s Catwoman.

But really, someone just needs to bring back Joe Potato.

1 Like

There are so many other DC heroes that they could make animated series about instead. Jonah Hex, Booster Gold & the Blue Beetle, The Atom, Vixen, The Question (either the Sage or Montoya version), Supergirl, Power Girl, Mr. Terrific, The JSA. Heck what about Wonder Woman?!

3 Likes

While I’ve always been a big Batman fan, I agree it’s time to move onto a different version. I think LEGO Batman did a good job of highlighting a lot of problems with the character and ways to fix them, so maybe take that as a starting point. And, not starting a whole thing here, but these days a white billionaire pursuing his idea of justice can, uh, have issues. One of the few good things the game Gotham Knights did was have Lucius Fox call him out on that.

6 Likes

The thing is, if you go back, before Frank Miller’s famed Dark Knight story, and from then on that became the go to vibe, Batman had his fun moments.

“A Town on the Night” for example, is one of my favorite Batman/Catwoman stories. In it, she and the Bat try to have a date but are interrupted by one crime after another. It’s a fun one - and a reminder that there was a time when Bruce wasn’t so moody, repressed and obsessed, and could lighten up and enjoy a flirty night with on the town with a lady he liked.

4 Likes

Dietrich Baker can do it again, like he did for Brave and the Bold.

3 Likes

I haven’t enjoyed any Bat thing as much as the first couple of seasons of B:TAS. That said, if they can manage to tell some creepy weird detective stories, I’ll probably be pleased with this. I don’t need a bat-family or guest stars or the batusi. The voice is clearly affected and a bit awkward but otherwise fine with me. Anything but the stupid Bale growl.

I think some of the best Batman stories include him being at odds with the law, so I hope that happens.

2 Likes

Not sure I need camp (not sure that would even work these days) but showing the character as more than a misanthrope who only deigns to talk to Alfred because he has to would be nice. That’s what the Dick Grayson character did, he allowed Bruce to be more than just brooding and occasionally grunting an answer at someone.

I’d be down for something Justice League if they could do it right. Jonah Hex would be awesome, not sure anyone wants to do a western now though.

Supergirl (or Batgirl, or any other character that was just a female copy of the existing male character) never interested me. They felt like cheap after thoughts. Wonder Woman could be cool, if they got the right person for the voice.

2 Likes

Kristen Schaal?

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s exceptions to this rule, but the gritty, dark, raunchy or otherwise hard-R rated attitude that DC has really doubled and tripled down on the last few years has kept me away from even a passing interest in most of their shows and movies. I used to like some of their heroes but these days it’s all so dark and/or gross I pass on all of it.

Though I have heard good things about My Adventures With Superman. I might have to check that out.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m not terribly interested in a new Batman animated series, unless they plan to dial back the edge to something more classy and noir influenced like TAS used to be. The real world is depressing, violent, and perverse enough as it is, thank you.

5 Likes

True. Just ask Taylor Sheridan.

2 Likes

^^ THIS^^

I can’t remember the last DC movie I was interested in. Batman Begins, maybe? And while the first one was okay, the other two in that series were, yeah, dark, violent, and off-putting.

I’ll stick Aquaman on when I want a silly popcorn movie (but I still haven’t seen the sequel to that one so it didn’t leave much of an impression.) I like Jason Momoa in the role, I thought he did a good job with what he had to work with, but it wasn’t much to work with.

MCU can do things (well they had a good run up to Endgame at least) with its franchise that are interesting. The characters have some depth, some humor at least. Of course, now they are falling into the dark, dystopic pit too.

3 Likes

The fact that I thought “wow that’s a tough choice” makes it even funnier that it’s now a 4-way tie

2 Likes

So much this. Especially adolescent swears, sex, gross-out “comedy” (which isn’t funny at all) and edgelord grit such as in the absolute trash fire that is the Harley Quinn animated show. What they do to the Batman story is like the worst Club Scum fanfic imaginable on the order of other self-insert garbage like Velma. What that “content” did to characters like Nora Fries is unforgivable.

BtAS is and remains the standard by which all Batman productions should be judged. Deviating from that standard should have some VERY strong creative reasoning, or should be discarded as being automatically inferior.

As for the clip? About a billion times too dramatic for just announcing some names.

2 Likes

Batman: TAS did set a very high bar. The noir aspect. The fact that Bruce wasn’t a complete jerk. Great voice actors. The series is pretty much a Who’s Who of Hollywood. The art is gorgeous. Yes, do more of that Batman.

6 Likes

This is exactly why I’m bummed James Gunn gets to spearhead the next round of DC movies. He’s made some tremendously gross movies and some of that even creeped into what he did with the GoG movies. I have very little hope that him taking the lead with the new DC stuff will result in anything I actually want to see. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of DC being super gross.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hollywood is still recovering from the last time Jonah Hex was adapted.

Yeah, before he was Cable and Thanos, Josh Brolin took a role with the Distinguished Competition and was Jonah Hex.

2 Likes