New Batman animated series, Batman: Caped Crusader, coming to Prime

Did not realise Bruce Timm was involved with this version. That would explain the art style.

Never liked the high ears on the cowl. I always thought that looked too … silly. (yeah yeah. guy dressing up like a bat, but you know what I mean).

The voice sounded all right, a bit disappointed that we’re re-hashing the whole Batman is just another vigilante and needs to be stopped plotline. They did that through the first half of TAS too.

Speaking of TAS and considering the people involved, is this supposed to be some sort of reboot?

3 Likes

I think so, with the setting closer in time to the creation of the Batman character in 1939. So less high tech and more leaning on period art, the latter of which is reflected in the character designs.

You know, Timm could get really trippy and add a time-traveling Terry McGinnis drawn in his animated art style for just one episode to close the TAS series circle, though how the rights to do that would work with Amazon in the mix…

There will be time travel. Later or sooner, there’s always time travel…

1 Like

Oh, I like it. The old school costume with the short gloves, Catwoman in the purple dress - I like the noirish look and sound of it. Voice is better than in that earlier preview.

Not sure about the look for Harley, but maybe they’re shooting for a look more suited to what the Bat and the Cat are wearing, more the 40s style noir?

3 Likes

Exactly. Harley’s look is based on the more traditional harlequin appearance that goes back to the late sixteenth century.

Arlequin, Paul Cézzane, circa 1888 to circa 1890

Even her costume color is spot-on. What’s the name of the color between green and chartreuse green (yellow green)? Harlequin.

2 Likes

Seconded, I’m in, this looks pretty close to everything I want from Batman stories.

3 Likes

Radomski and Dini had a lot to do with how well BtAS came out. Timm is more … inconsistent. His “Batman and Harley Quinn” movie showed that without other people helping him out, his instincts can be highly questionable at times. So I don’t get automatically excited when I see Timm is involved in a Batman production.

3 Likes

One thing I really liked about TAS was the 40s noir aspect of it. It got a bit confused at times with its tech (payphones everywhere, but everyone also had surveillance video and VCRs)

I’m willing to give it a shot after seeing that trailer.

3 Likes

Another guy who’s done a fine job as Batman in recent years? Bruce Greenwood, voice of Batman in Under The Red Hood and Young Justice.

3 Likes

Watched the trailer, definitely seems to me like a more grown up TAS with some vintage flair. Here’s hoping they don’t get too “grown up” with it (I would be much happier with a TV-PG or TV-14 show vs. another TV-MA). Happy to see Harley back to something closer to the original (I’m not a fan of the more “modern” take on the character that’s been going around for a good while at this point).

2 Likes

Yeah, if they go TV-MA I will likely bow out.

4 Likes

Agreed. If it’s TV-MA I will not be watching. As previously mentioned, the DC stuff has been too gross for too long. That’s not for me.

2 Likes

Not to mention all the inside jokes and Easter eggs that were snuck into some episodes, e.g., S01E18, “Beware the Gray Ghost,” and S01E39-40, “Heart of Steel.”

4 Likes

This kind of snuck out in the last couple of days in Justice League: Crisis on Infinite Earths, Part 3; Kevin Conroy’s final voiceover performance as Batman. And, yes, that’s Mark Hamill as the Joker.

3 Likes