New Record Player, Same Platter Mat

I went on a bit of a colored vinyl buying streak a few years ago, I always wanted the white album on white vinyl so that was first, then the red and blue Beatles compilations on red and blue vinyl, those were pure impulse buys. Then it was the Blues Brothers on blue, Peanuts Christmas on Red, then I saw the picture disc for the Guardians Of The Galaxy soundtrack and had to pick that up.

Cyan released a 2 LP set of music from the Myst games a little while back, that came on 2 translucent marbleized colored discs, one red/white and one blue/white. The set sold out in a week. I see people asking loads of money for the set on various sites, up to $200, I wonder if they are selling any at those prices?

2 Likes

I kinda need to know where you got that. Owning one is now a moral imperative

3 Likes

That’s awesome, I love how common colored vinyl is now. I think my copy of the Peanuts Christmas album is green!

@Zer0charisma I’m pretty sure I bought it straight from the official Shout Factory online store a couple of years ago, but they don’t sell it anymore. :confused:

1 Like

Oh! I guess I meant which record players have you been looking at?

1 Like

Yeah, I’m seeing that now. Plan B: scouring the internet for a second party seller

1 Like

I owned both the Africa-shaped “Africa” 45 and purple “Purple Rain” 45 when I was a kid. I wonder what happened to those.

1 Like

Had to go look, mine is green. Now I remember why I was thinking red, because I almost bought a 2nd copy of it when I found out they also made it on red vinyl. At that point I was done buying colored discs of things I already had on black vinyl or CD.

I have mostly used Discogs to get records I had as a kid, but I have bought a few of the new remastered heavy vinyl discs that have come out in the last several years. Some of the recent Beatles anniversary discs have been great but not that much better than the ones I already had. Only true upgrade was Fleetwood Mac’s Rumors on two 45rpm discs, that sounds amazing, my original bought in 77 had a few scratches on it so the new one is much better. I also have it on CD but the new vinyl is a slightly different audio mix.

2 Likes

I’ve got the Orbit U-turn as well. Love it! Love to see BoC getting some attention. Music has to right to children has always been my favorite.
Colored vinyl? Don’t get me started! They say the audio quality is compromised, but I don’t care. I’ve got the original scores to volumes 1-3 of stranger things on clear, smokey up-side-down world blue and grey, and translucent firework respectively. Been listening to those since spooky season. Happy spinning!
P.S. If someone finds where to to get that platter, let us know.

3 Likes

I was really torn between it and a few other options. It seems like Fluance and Pro-Ject are the typical go-to recommendations in that price range, but I really liked the idea that I could customize the build with the specific upgrades I wanted without spending money in areas I wasn’t as worried about with U-turn. I’ve been happy with it so far, although I think I should probably get a backup belt or two. I worry about it stretching out over time and falling off, it feels REALLY loose when I switch from 45 to 33.

1 Like

I’ve had mine for over 3 years and haven’t replaced a thing on it. Not a bad idea to have one on stand-by tho.

2 Likes

Good to hear yours has been up to the task for 3 years so far! Which cartridge do you have?

1 Like

Honestly, I couldn’t tell ya. Whatever it came with. Did you upgrade yours?

1 Like

When mine was ordered they gave you the option of which cartridge it came with - I ended up going with the Ortofon 2M Red. I figured with my non elite setup I wouldn’t notice enough of a difference going all the way to the Blue, but I did want something a little nicer than the base one.

I probably would have been fine saving a bit and getting the OM 5E but whatev!

1 Like