New riffs of old episodes?

With a new, cleaned up, 3D copy of “Robot Monster” soon to be released (there’s a kickstarter for it up right now) it got me wondering, what are people’s feelings about movies used in previous episodes being"re-riffed"?

I’m thinking of how “Eegah” was redone by the season 11 crew on the first live tour.

There was also mention, pre-pandemic, that the love tour was going to make a new riff of “Santa Claus conquers the martians”.

Obviously, between Cinematic Titanic, The Mads, and Rifftrax, several movies used in old episodes have been re-riffed.

What are your thoughts?

• Love it- I have no problem with them re-riffing old episodes.
  • Not my favorite- I love when they find new weird movies to tackle.

0 voters

3 Likes

This was actually part of the show almost from the start, as several movies from the KTMA season were done again after they got more experience and figured they could get plenty more out of them.

3 Likes

I agree. Sometimes “refreshing” old episodes works, sometimes it doesn’t…like this past week.
I have reviewed re-riffs, like “Bride of the Gorilla” done by RT and ICWXP. Also “Gamera” where MST and RT took on the Japanese and US versions,
Check them out :grin:

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m fine either way. Their live riff of Eegah was hysterical and the it’s a classic classic episode. But given the choice, I’d rather dive into the unknown if possible.

8 Likes

I’m of two minds on this. I think that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. When RT has reriffed, they generally are doing the full uncut movies and that sometimes makes a big difference to the overall experience. In addition, I’d like them to reriff a couple of the KTMA movies (Legend of Dinosaurs), but overall, I think there are probably lots of good bad movies out there.

One thing I don’t really want is for them to play the riffed movie and then try to squeeze in other riffs around the existing riffs.

2 Likes

I’d love to see Robot Monster re-riffed, since the season 1 episodes weren’t the strongest.

I understand Rifftrax redoing some of their “greatest hits” from MST3K, but I would prefer to see them do more re-riffs from the Joel era. With something like Manos and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Kevin was the only riffer in common for both versions, so it felt like a fresher take.

1 Like

I love when they get a movie I’ve never heard of, and I have no idea what I’m in for. The sense of going on this riff-ride to God knows where.

Saying that, there have been some really wonderful re-riffs, Rifftrax doing Manos seemed a mistake, but darned if they didn’t make me laugh, a lot. And while MST’s original SCCTM had the host segs, I thought CTs riffing on that one was generally funnier.

Also, though RTs take on The Magic Sword couldn’t top MST’s, it was neat to see/hear them riff on cut scenes. (Riffing on cut scenes is a plus in general.)

I’d be fine with seeing what MST could do with KTMA movies like The Last Chase, or a season 1, like Slime People. But I prefer the never done.

3 Likes

+1

Cut scenes and cleaner prints/original aspect ratio are my favorite things about RT re-riffs, but I’m not hankering for MST3K to start recycling.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind seeing them take another shot at some of the KTMA experiments, but, otherwise, I’d rather have them give me new surprises.

3 Likes

It worked for me with the riff-along of Moon Zero Two with the live cast. There is a lot of dead space in Season 1 where you could add riffs. I don’t know that I’d want to watch a ton of that, but I’ve re-watched it once and enjoyed it both times.

2 Likes

By and large Id rather discover new weird movies and have them riffed. However, there are a few episodes with an unpleasant helping of borderline transphobic jokes that I feel like don’t fit with how the show evolved and they always make me skip forward past them.

1 Like

I’d be cool with a re-riff but I think it needs to have a gimmick or experimental quality to it.

1 Like

I don’t mind a movie being recycled for a live show. The dynamic and even the spacing of riffs is, ideally, very different then: especially if you factor in the different host combos.

I also don’t mind the riff-ceptions done for Mindless Summer and the Kickstarter. No one is touting those as replacements for the original versions, after all. Also, I busted my gut a couple of times, over things like Felicia Day merrily chatting with everyone while sporting a computer-generated Jell-O™ salad head. Or all the younger riffers snarkily “okay, Grandpa-ing” Joel when he timidly mentioned that he’d written a couple of songs that weren’t in the particular film they were watching. I’ll tolerate a certain level of chaos for that kind of thing, though I know it’s hard on some others.

If any episode is to feature a recycled movie, I’d want them to go WAY back: to S1 or better yet, S0. But not as a constant thing. Maybe a once-a-season treat would do.

2 Likes

Robot Holocaust practically BEGS to be re-riffed. I even have the mise en scène… Son of TVs Frank accidentally spills a Pepsi (very old SNL joke) on the 5 1/4 inch floppy disk that holds the original experiment results of Robot Holocaust… So Kinga makes Jonah and the bots re-riff it to restore the experiment’s results! Maybe even shooting SoTVsF up the umbilical to sit through it as punishment!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I have sometimes wished they would redo some of the KTMA and season one stuff. There’s nothing wrong with that stuff, but I feel like they hadn’t quite yet nailed the formula and were still trying to let us watch the movie more than riffing. Didn’t they actually re-riff a couple?

2 Likes

lol. I bet Grandma Pearl’s already warned Kinga re: the dangers of giving the henchmen and the victims time to realize they actually like each other. But would Kinga heed these warnings? :thinking: The youth of the future… they can be impetuous and bad at their lessons.