News of the Weird

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/4542469-swifties-caused-seismic-activity-los-angeles-show-new-research/

The research of the SoFi show showed that each Swift song “had a distinctive tremor signal.”

“Researchers were able to identify 43 of the 45 songs played within the recorded spectrograms.” …

Fittingly, the song with the largest local magnitude was Swift’s hit, “Shake It Off,” which clocked in at 0.851.

5 Likes

I believe that happened in Seattle as well.

This news has me smiling politely.

3 Likes

Insane in the Membrane is the only Cypress Hill song I know and now I’m desperate to hear LSO play it with them.

3 Likes

Now they’ll know how many Hills it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

2 Likes

“I said I wanted leg of lamb, not leg of Pam.

3 Likes

“multiple outstanding warrants”

yuh huh

3 Likes

Only the headline says eating. Hmm…

1 Like

YOU’RE RUINING IT FOR ME!

1 Like

Also, you must include the word “gnawing” if you write such a story.

2 Likes

This is a town not extremely far from me-

4 Likes

They are thorough, resourceful, and voracious there, I hear.

2 Likes

On the independent scene, “Late Night With the Devil” took sixth place and summoned $2.8 million from 1,034 venues, including (and you can’t make this up) $666,666 on Sunday. This marks the biggest opening weekend for its distributor IFC Films, overtaking 2022’s “Watcher” with $826,775. The low-budget thriller stars David Dastmalchian as a late-night talk show host who keeps the cameras rolling during a live Satanic incident.

3 Likes
2 Likes

“Well-intentioned rescuer” or experienced practical joker? :thinking:

3 Likes

Physicists have figured out a way to remotely disable nuclear weapons “relatively” safely (it still explodes, but with just 3% of the full yield). The catch? You need a 1000 TeV neutrino beam that can only be produced by a particle accelerator 1000km in circumference. To put that in context, the Large Hadron Collider generates barely 13 TeV and is 27km in circumference.

Not holding my breath on this getting built anytime soon…

5 Likes

The world is finally safe from nuclear war!

5 Likes

I enjoy the ritual of vinyl. I enjoy large album art and large liner notes. But the whole ‘warmth’ thing is, I can tell you from experience, nonsense. I went to school for audio engineering. Pretty much all new albums are mixed digitally, mastered digitally and possibly even recorded with microphones that have a digital output. The only reason to buy any music made after about 1995 on vinyl is just that you enjoy buying vinyl.

Also, do not believe the audiophiles who say you need to spend hundreds of dollars to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard. Engineers mix and master so that it sounds the way it was “meant” to be heard as well as possible on a basic car stereo speakers as much as $10,000 speakers. In fact, my professors specifically told us that you should get in your car and drive around with a copy of your latest master playing to make sure it sounded good in a car.

The whole idea that audio engineers mix and master music with the high-end audiophile in mind is just silly. Why would they? They want everyone to enjoy it.

7 Likes