Nintendo Direct

Did anyone catch the Nintendo Direct? What did you think? Funny enough, the two things I was most excited over were the free updates to Mario Golf and Animal Crossing. That Kirby game looks promising too! Anything you’re looking forward to?

5 Likes

Mostly Animal Crossing New Horizons (Brewster’s back!!!), Deltarune Chapter 2, and Splatoon 3. The Mario movie on the other hand…
laughs hysterically

6 Likes

I was personally very disappointed. Disco Elysium was the only thing mentioned that I was really excited about. Though to be fair, I already got what I wanted in the last one with Bomb Rush Cyber Funk and Fatal Frame.

4 Likes

I’m a big Kirby fan and getting a full 3-D Kirby game is a dream come true.

That Mario movie looks insane. I wouldn’t have too many issues with the cast except for Chris Pratt… and he led off the announcement so everything after also felt like a joke. Jack Black as Bowser though is pretty inspired.

It’s looking more and more like a trainwreck, but will it be a fun one? It could go either way.

4 Likes

I’m all-in on the new NES35 Game & Watch series as my only video game system.

3 Likes

Honestly the only two voice actors I was disappointed by were Chris Pratt and Jack Black. I’m just kind of tired of both of them. Anna Taylor Joy is a brilliant choice. She’s one of my favourite voice actors in the Dark Crystal, so I am really looking forward to that. And hey, if the movie sucks, they can always riff it!

3 Likes

I can see how Jack Black could be good, but I feel like he’s a bit too obvious a choice. My personal saturation of Jack Black is pretty high. :stuck_out_tongue: I saw someone say Seth Rogen was a bad choice for Donkey Kong, but I think he’ll be great.

5 Likes

Let’s get the game stuff out of the way first: looking forward to the new open-world Kirby game, definitely going to buy the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack later next month (might be about $10 or $20 more than the yearly plan,) and Splatoon 3 is looking good.

Now, about my thoughts on the Mario movie cast (to quote from my Twitter):

Chris Pratt? Was expecting a more Chaplin-esque Mario in the vein of Charles Martinet and those dang Minions.

Jack Black? Thought Seth MacFarlane or Kevin Hart would voice Bowser, but he’ll do the trick.

Keegan-Michael Key? Interested to hear what his Toad will sound like.

Seth Rogen and Fred Armisen? Didn’t think they’d drag DK into this, but I figure he and Cranky would sound chill.

Sebastian Maniscalco? They’re seriously bringing Wrecking Crew lore into this Mario film?

3 Likes

Well they’re certainly throwing a lot of money at the Mario movie judging by the cast but that doesn’t guarantee a good script of course. The Sonic movie was surprisingly decent though so who knows?

I’ll pass on the NSO expansion. I already have the Mega Drive Classics collection for the PS2, PSP, PS4, the Steam versions, a Mega Drive mini and a Mega SG with original cartridges so I really don’t need another way to play Mega Drive games lol. With more N64 games I might consider it. The Mega Drive pad being the 3-button version is hilarious though.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to Sega and Nintendo 64 games coming to Nintendo Live.

2 Likes

I actually was thinking about why no one took issue (or least did so as loudly) with the voice for Sonic and I think part of it is that Sonic has had so many different voices over the years, while I think Mario’s is highly recognizable and iconic. (Also everyone was too busy bullying the studio for the godawful original way they designed Sonic’s animation, who had time to care about his voice actor :sweat_smile:) Plus Ben Schwartz had plenty of voice acting roles under his belt at that time and Chris Pratt only has two that I can think of…

3 Likes

I don’t really remember anything negative being said about Ben getting the role and I think he did a terrific job. I can’t say though that I had any real expectations for what he would or should sound like unlike Mario of course where you’re expecting Charles Martinet.

It could also just be generally low expectations for the Sonic movie given the, shall we say, inconsistent quality of Sonic games since the 16-bit era.

2 Likes