Non-US MSTK3 fans

Yes, I’m British and have been watching it since 2000. My now husband went to work in California in 2000 and when I visited he’d been recording it. He knew about it before then but never told me till then. The first one we watched together (him having judged it the best) was Werewolf. Next was Puma Man. Both absolutely brilliant! Still our faves.

When RiffTrax came to the U.K. we went to that showing and met up with the MST3KUK bunch in Leicester Square. (Emma’s group is now archived unfortunately)
I backed the Revival too and this season.
Admittedly we don’t get every dated US reference in the 11 seasons but still love it.

9 Likes

On another forum I’m on, I have a friend of mine from Germany who has been watching episodes for a while now. He’s been enjoying them, and does plan to watch them all, but real life has prevented him at the moment from getting more of the DVD sets (he has a region free DVD player).

He has informed me on German Wikipedia that the version of “Hamlet” they did isn’t listed, and isn’t mentioned on Schell’s page there either.

5 Likes

Now I’m reminded of the sword-and-sandal 1958 movie Goddess Of Love. It’s totally in the vein of the Hercules and Colossus/Machiste movies. It would fit right in on MST3K but it looks like there’s no dubbed-into-English version out there. So we’ll never see it our way, which makes me very sad.

4 Likes

I always get the deep voiced saying of “Puma Man” stuck in my head every watch. Or Donald Pleasance pronunciation of “Pewma Man.”

4 Likes

UK Mstie. Discovered the show while in New York September 2002. Now proud owner of all the shows on disc including all the Rhino sets. Saw Rifftrax and The Mads in London 2018.

5 Likes

Oh and I’m a three time crowdfund backer too!

5 Likes

The Pythons said something similar on one of their anniversary discs: Oh, we were sure that the show would never be of interest to viewers in the U.S.A., being so far removed from what they knew.

The rest, as they say, is the opposite of that projected history. :wink:

4 Likes

My major beef with the Netflix seasons was that much of that Midwest-centricity was gone. (I know, I know… even our Mr. Hodgson lives in Philadelphia now, but still…)

4 Likes

I’m with you on this. I remember back in 2015, during the first Kickstarter, Joel reassured fans about moving production to L.A. by saying something to the effect of, “You can take MST3K out of Minneapolis, but you can’t take the Minneapolis out of MST3K.”

But I’m not so sure about that. When I first learned how outrageously complicated they made production, I was shocked (recording dialog at different times and multiple locations, then syncing it up with the cast facing empty green screens; multiple puppeteers per bot, etc.).

On the season 11 or 12 discs, there’s an “extra” where one of the writers muses that as time goes on, they’re gradually simplifying the process and might end up back where they started. And I thought to myself, “Why on earth would you have ever gone down this road in the first place?”

But any MST is good MST, so I’m trying to keep my “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” gripes to a minimum. :wink:

8 Likes

[nod] Joel has written a whole mini-treatise on the Kickstarter page about what a big event it still is around his house when the PACKERS!! are on. So I’ve not lost hope.

(You’ll know he’s been fully absorbed by life in Philly when there’s a Tastykake™ invention to go along with the stuff about pizza rolls and Carvel™ cakes.)

4 Likes

Unfortunately PlutoTV is not compatible in Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) yet. I’ve tried using a VPN, but that slowed down the streaming possibility too much to be able to watch it.

5 Likes

Jordy, can you get Twitch in your territory? They also have MST3K and RiffTrax channels. Last time I checked the former, it was showing a Cinematic Titanic riff, so it isn’t just original MST3K episodes.

4 Likes

Groeten uit Canada Jordy.

I was introduced to MST3K in the early 90s when a friend at university smuggled back some VHS tapes after visiting family in the US.

I’m not really ‘overseas’, but definitely ‘vreemd’. :slight_smile:

BTW, my wife’s family is from around Zwolle and we always love visiting the Netherlands. :smiley:

5 Likes

I like ‘vreemd’, ‘vreemd’ is good.
“Vriendelijke groeten” for your wife then. Good to know I have at least a few people available for the Dutch MST3K Promo team :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah, Twitch is definitely an option. I forgot that they have MST3K and co. material. I rarely use Twitch, I think I’m too old… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m from Canada and I couldn’t see it until I could get my hands on the Rhino video. I heard of it and it seemed like my jam and I spent $20 on the Atomic Brain and it was worth it.

2 Likes

After one semester of Dutch 20 years ago, I’m pleased to understand that! My favorite word that I learned is “graag”. I hope you’ve been able to track down more MSTies and episodes!

Here’s a Duck in the Wisconsin Dells for you and other non-Wisconsinites:

1 Like

I usually bill myself as “from parts unknown”. Does that count as non-US?

2 Likes

It’s awesome that you were able to discover the show like that!

Rhino VHS tapes were invaluable for bringing new MSTies into the game.

2 Likes

No, about 40% of “parts unknown” are in the US.

1 Like